Friday, September 6, 2013

One of the Reasons...

Over my ten plus years in the needlework industry, I have had the sincere pleasure of "meeting" stitchers from across the globe...corresponding with those that share my passion for needle and thread is truly a gift and a blessing that brings me so much joy! Many of you have become dear cyber friends and we keep in touch through our blogs and social media, with floss and specialty threads connecting us across the miles.

I had the pleasure of "meeting" Cathey (or "Pumpkin", as many of you know her) years ago...and if you haven't checked out her blog Pumpkin Patch & Co. - then you must visit now! We aren't best friends, but I feel I have gotten to know Cathey over the years via her blog and messages that we have exchanged. She is an amazing needleartist and photographer...but more importantly, a generous, kind, and beautiful person, wife, and mother.

Many of you know I am walking in the Komen 3-Day in San Diego in November...and you want to know why I am walking...and why this particular cause is important to me. Some of you have been following me on my journey and totally "get it" - the response I have received has truly been incredible...and while there are definitely those who are negative about the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation and have very strong political views, the majority of the messages I have received have been extremely positive. So, to answer the question: why am I walking?? The answer is simple - just read a few posts from Pumpkin's blog and you should understand (seriously, click on the link and go read now). You see, Pumpkin is just like you and me - she has a beautiful family and she loves her needlework...only, she is at Stage 4 Breast Cancer with incredible amounts of complications (and her blog is honest and beautiful and tells it like it is). I am walking for Cathey...and the dozens of you who have sent me messages that you are battling or have battled breast cancer...and the dozens of you that have sent me messages that you have watched a loved one suffer. Breast cancer is the most frequently diagnosed cancer and is the leading cause of cancer death among women worldwide. I am walking for those who are currently fighting, I am walking in memory of those who have lost their life to the disease, and I am walking to celebrate the lives of the millions of survivors - it is that easy - I walk because I can.

I hope that gives you a little more insight on "why" I am walking - I try to always keep my blog light, fun, and creative...but Cathey's recent blog posts have touched me deeply and I wanted to share them with you. Please follow her blog...and send good thoughts, vibes, and prayers her way - from experience, I know support and love from the needlework community is a definitely a source of strength and encouragement!

For now, I am back to my training and preparation for November...it is coming up fast. Thank you all for your love, support, and encouragement - and for helping me get closer to my fundraising goal - it is within reach - and I have 70 days left to obtain it! My special "pink" design "Red Rosies and Pink Posies" with 100% of the proceeds benefiting the Komen 3-Day is still available - you can read all the details here: http://blueribbondesigns.blogspot.com/2013/07/red-rosies-and-pink-posies.html


2 comments:

  1. Belinda - you are such a wonderful person to be doing this for every woman, if they have cancer or not, as this horrific disease is still so rampant. I read Pumpkin's last posting and it made me so sad, as she has so much to live for. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for what you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Belinda, I just read your post and to say that I'm speechless is an understatement. I am SO honored that you thought of me. Out of all the other women out there, I can't believe that my name is the one that came to your mind. I respect anyone who goes out there and walks/runs for those they love. I know you will achieve your goal and I will be thinking of you. I only wish we lived closer so that I could take you out to lunch and give you a great big hug ;o) ((((HUGS)))) Cathey
    Btw - I love your design! So full of versatility. Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete