Monday, June 7, 2010

My Quest For A Wooden Embroidery Hoop

Over the years I have collected my share of stitching/sewing totes, projects bags, boxes, and tins. In fact, sometimes I think it takes me longer to pick out a tote, box, or bag than it does to pick out the project to take on-the-go with me. Seems I am always sewing (or collecting fabric for) a new tote or project bag...or adding a new shaker box or special tin to my collection....and Vera Bradley bags - well let's just say I don't keep them all in one place or my husband might "freak out" a little.

Why am I sharing this...well, after a note from the local EGA regarding an upcoming class I am taking, I had to go on the search for a high quality wooden embroidery hoop...and I don't have many of those in my possession now that I am accustomed to q-snaps or working "in hand"...I just am not really comfortable working with a hoop. Normally, I am not a conformist - I stitch to enjoy my hobby and I like to use what works best for me...but that being said, I like to follow "rules", so I went on the hunt for one of my good old embroidery hoops. Right away, I realized I had the right size, right under my nose...well, actually on the shelf right next to my desk...which leads me back to the discussion on stitching boxes and totes.

Years ago, I fell "head over heels" for embroidery and quilting boxes made by Goods From The Woods...I used to go to their website everyday and drool over these wonderful sewing boxes. I wanted one so badly, I actually printed out a page from their website (with the one I wanted and their contact information) and put it on the refrigerator door a few weeks before my birthday, to gently nudge my husband in the right direction. Well, my husband got the hint and ordered me one to be delivered on my birthday (yes ladies, I really am a lucky girl!). When this sewing box arrived, it exceeded all my expectations - it is GORGEOUS! The large oval sewing box is super high quality and very sturdy...the inside contains a smaller shaker box to hold all my tools...and (if that is not enough) mounted in the lid - a high quality pair of stork scissors and (you guessed it) a 6" embroidery hoop....all that, and a wooden case for my needles, pins, and thimble. Oh how I love this stitching box...it has traveled with me to many retreats and classes over the years...and is just as spectacular today as it was when it arrived. My box is signed and dated 2003...and I feel very blessed to have this treasure, as their website has since disappeared and I have not been able to locate any current information on their products. I just had to share this beautiful box with you - it brings me joy every time I use it!


6 comments:

  1. Oh Belinda!!! You lucky! I so wanted a box from them, but I kept putting it off and hoping that the right time (and the money) would come. Well, like you said, they've since disappeared. And I never got a box from them. :( You are so lucky to have a piece from them. I wish they would come back, wherever they are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Belinda, I too had wanted to get one of those boxes but kept putting it off until they were no longer around. Wonder if they'll see these comments and come back - we can hope! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful stitching box! Your love of Shaker boxes goes way back! How great to have that on hand!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What a beautiful box. Shame they're not around. I think quite a few of us would run to get one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! Isn't it great when we love the stash we have collected even years after we get them! The box is exactly what every stitcher needs. (and wants)

    ReplyDelete