Thursday, June 18, 2009

Polishing Projects with Piping!

Last September, Elegant Stitch came out with a fabulous kit called "Buttons and Blooms for the Cure" (raising funds for breast cancer education and awareness) - the chart/pin pillow was created by Blackbird Designs and uses their fabric line "At Water's Edge" by Moda. I fell in love with this piece, and stitched/finished it the week it arrived (which is rare for me, as I am usually model stitching)...since then, I have been infatuated with piping. I felt the piping around the pin pillow added so much dimension...just the perfect touch. I started playing with and reading about piping and it's various uses. Last weekend, I was watching an old episode of "Sewing with Martha" (Martha Pullen) and one of her segments included piping and used a special trimming tool - I immediately went to the computer and researched this fabulous tool. It is called a "Groovin' Piping Trimming Tool" and was invented by Susan K. Cleveland... it helps you trim your piping seam allowances to a perfect 1/4" or 1/2". Her website http://www.piecesbewithyou.com/ was a goldmine of piping products and books...a wealth of information! I couldn't wait to get my hands on this trimming tool and try it for myself...and I was not disappointed...my order arrived within 2 days...and it works easily and accurately...what a great find! My next sewing project?...I would love to use my new texture embroidery hoop to make an embellished quilt square...and finish it as a pillow edged with piping...hmmm....I need more time! I have a couple more unique gadgets I will share with you later this week....

No comments:

Post a Comment