Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Research Loaded With Inspiration

I have been enjoying loads of stitching time, as I am preparing several designs for teaching 2011. The last several days, I have been diligently stitching on the project for the New England Stitcher's Retreat to take place in October 2011. On my teaching trip to Enfield, NH this past spring, I was extremely inspired by the Enfield Shaker Village and the Great Stone Dwelling....when Marie invited me back to teach in the coming year, I was "over the moon" and couldn't wait to start working on another Shaker inspired project. Before working on the original project, I had done some research on the Shaker culture and found it quite interesting...then after my first visit, I started to do more reading and studying. I really wanted to learn more about the Shaker Gift Drawings and Gift Songs...and on my quest I found some great books full of information and inspiration. I recently added two more books to my collection: "Heavenly Visions: Shaker Gift Drawings and Gift Songs" and "Shaker Design: Out of this World" - both lovely additions to my ever-growing library. While working on this special class project (that revolves around an 8" miniature Shaker chair), it became clear to me I needed to design a framed sampler that would accompany the smalls - the design idea was so clear in my head....now to be putting the finishing touches on fabric, the whole thing is coming together perfectly - and I couldn't be happier with the results! I am hoping to have photos for you real soon - hopefully in the next week. I know many of you have booked this retreat without seeing project photos, so I know you are anxious to see what I have been working on...and believe me, I am anxious to show you. This project has refreshed and refueled my creative spirit and has given me a new outlook on my design work...

3 comments:

  1. We know it is just going to be wonderful!!! and can't wait to see it, the chairs arrived in the shop a couple of weeks back - nothing like being prepared :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know if you design it, it will be grand! I would love to come to the retreat again, but don't know if I can swing it. In any case, I'll be there stitching with you in spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fabulous book finds, Belinda! Looking forward to seeing your class project creations!

    Robin

    ReplyDelete