Tuesday, December 7, 2010

My Shaker-Inspired Teaching Project...

Today's post brings me much joy! I finally have a couple photos to share with you of the project I have designed for the New England Stitcher's Retreat to be held in October 2011. I finished up the models last night and sent the photos to Marie (ABC Stitch Therapy owner and a host for these retreats) this afternoon...and I am thrilled to say she was quite pleased! I have been focused on stitching and finishing the models for this special design over the past couple weeks and I am totally tickled with how everything came together. I know many of you have signed up for this retreat without seeing the project and you have been anxious to see what I have come up with...and I truly hope this does not disappoint!

The class project (I am still undecided on the title) focuses on an 8” miniature Shaker chair. The floral design, simplistic in nature, was inspired by my research on the Shaker culture and gift drawings...and my trip to Enfield, NH last spring. We will be stitching a “seat” for the chair - along with a scissor fob “pillow”, a pin pillow (which is tied to the top rung of the chair), and a needlebook “rug” – giving you a unique display set of needlework smalls...plus a framed sampler I designed to "pull it all together" (seen below, unframed, of course).

I must share, designing the seat for a miniature Shaker chair was an idea from Nataly (I know many of you have met her or visited her blog) - she shared her idea with Marie last spring when she attended the first retreat...Marie shared it with me (and the other retreat attendees) and I was immediately inspired to work on this fun set of needlework smalls - I truly hope I did her chair seat idea justice! Nataly is now one of the fabulous hosts at New England Stitcher's Retreats...

The response to this retreat has been wonderful (thank you!) - so wonderful, that they have added a second set of dates! The first retreat is being held October 7-10, 2011...and I am pretty sure it is close to being sold out - the second retreat is being held October 11-14, 2011. Both retreats are being held in Enfield, New Hampshire at the Shaker Great Stone Dwelling House - a truly amazing (and intimate) location, during the peak of the autumn leaves season! The retreat is all-inclusive...plus you enjoy the company of fellow needleworkers, fabulous views, delicious food, and a full schedule of great events. I really can't say enough positive things about the hosts, the area, and the entire experience!

Last May, I did several blog posts about this event and posted lots of photos....and for more information, you can visit the New England Stitcher's Retreat Website, The New England Stitcher's Retreat Blog, and/or ABC Stitch Therapy.

A few tiny details, before I get bombarded with questions....
The project is stitched on 32-count hand-dyed fabric from Lakeside Linens with Weeks Dye Works cotton floss. This very special design will not be available to the general public until at least one year after the retreats are held...so if you can not attend, you will have to be very patient...and I do not know if the miniature Shaker chair will be available at that time. I will be getting project details and the title finalized in the next week and then more information will be posted on the retreat website....

13 comments:

  1. That chair is so cute. I absolutely love the whole ensemble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pieces, love the designs and colors.
    I am working on a piece I made up today, mine are on the primitive side.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Each needlework small is gorgeous as is the larger sampler! Lucky stitchers are those attending this retreat in October! You have done it again, Belinda! Way to go!

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great project! I love the framed piece that will tie it together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All I can say is WOW! It's even better than I could have hoped for. The smalls are so clever, and the sampler is such an exquisite layout. I can't wait for October!! Love it! ~Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Shaker Chair is SOOOOOOOOO adorable!!!! I LOVE IT Belinda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it Belinda!! I am looking forward to working with you in October and can't wait to chat it up! Your designs are inspiring and I love the sampler. Extremely unique!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how I would love to attend this Retreat but the cost of an long haul airfare on top makes it a little expensive for me. Beautiful projects especially the chair!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a fantastic project! Wish I lived closer so that I could attend the retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A beautiful project, Belinda! So wish I could attend, but it's just not feasible.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is an amazing piece! I really like the back cushion with the birds. This is one retreat I wish I could attend! Lorrie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely love it all! I look forward to purchasing the pattern in 2012! I'm sure that those that signed up for the retreat are thrilled, I know I would be! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW!!! I love it. I will be attending the second class and can't wait. The blues and pinks are just perfect for me. It will be a long hot summer in California waiting for the fall retreat with all the beautiful colors of the leaves.

    ReplyDelete