Saturday, December 18, 2010

Holiday Sewing Projects - Embellished Kitchen Towels

Another holiday gift I worked on this season - embellished kitchen towels. These are quite fun and easy to make....and you use purchased kitchen towels (which can be found at any home store, grocery store, and many quilting/sewing stores at reasonable prices). I then picked coordinating fabric especially for the recipient - and you don't need a lot of fabric, a fat quarter will be more than sufficient for a couple towels. I simply cut a band of fabric to fit one end of the towel - then used my serger to do a 3-thread rolled edge around the cut ends of the fabric band to keep it from unraveling and give it a nice finished look (you could zig-zag the edges or do a basic hem if you do not have a serger)....I then used a small amount of fusible web to hold the fabric band in place on the towel - and attached it with a tiny zig-zag stitch on my sewing machine. To make it even more fun and unique, you can add trim, rick rack, piping, or buttons. Pair it with a cookbook and you have a perfect gift for those who like to spend time in the kitchen....

1 comment:

  1. Belinda ,your gifts are not only so thoughtful, beautiful and charming but you really get, at least in my book, that giving a home-made gift is truly the best gift of all. You pour your creativity and heart in all you do. I'm in AWE!!
    I'm currently reading Kelly Rae Robert's book Taking Flight: Inspiration And Techniques To Give Your Creative Spirit Wings, and you embody everything I'm reading. I love it!!
    hugs
    -missy-

    ReplyDelete