Sunday, February 24, 2013

Spring Fever...

I must admit, I have a case of spring fever...I am definitely ready for sunshine and warmer temperatures. I have been walking on the treadmill this week, as the ground is snow and ice covered...most sidewalks are clear, but the lower temperatures and potential for slipping has kept me indoors....I truly cannot wait to be back outside doing my training walks!

Needing a little sunshine and some flowers in my life, I decided to go through my fabric bins and find some stash fabric that makes me happy...and took to my sewing machine for a few hours on Friday and Saturday. I wanted to try a new small zippered bag with a clear vinyl front...and I have had a cute pattern in my collection for quite some time (Bridget's Bagettes by Atkinson Designs). I decided on the Riley Blake Designs fabric line Hoo's In The Forest by Doohikey Designs - a cheerful fabric collection that I picked up quite some time ago (I believe it is now retired, but you can still find it here and there). I like to work on projects with a bit of a challenge...and this one was fun because I got to use multiple presser feet on my machine...and I used tissue paper with the vinyl to keep it from sticking to my machine/sewing table and then tore it away. I was pretty happy with my first try, but I have a few changes I will make to "streamline" the design a bit - plus, I think I will adjust the size a bit (the one I made is 5"H x 7.5"W)...but overall, I was happy with my first attempt and will put my new tool pouch to good use. I really like the look of the coordinating contrasting fabric on the inside...and I did use fusible fleece to give the pouch some strength and stability. I see more of these cute zippered pouches in my future!


After trying something new, I decided to use the same fabric line (it makes me happy) to do a few more items for my Etsy Shop...so I made several stitching pouches with wool and button embellishments...and several more Stitch Starter Ruler sleeves.




So there you have it - my cure for spring fever...beautiful, cheerful fabrics and some sewing time! I hope you have had a chance to be creative this weekend...

5 comments:

  1. OMG I love the fabric and the zipper pouch. How adorable and with some of my favorite colors! You are so amazing my friend and yes the fabrics are happy, spring fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks lovely. I really like the fabric you used.
    I'm also tired of snow and cold. We woke up to a white world again this morning. I'm so ready for spring.
    Eveline.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a terrific way to say welcome spring! Great looking projects, Belinda, and that project bag is a cutie!

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cheerful! You can't help but smile at the bright fabric.

    ReplyDelete