Thursday, February 16, 2012

Smiles and Surprises

I'm feeling quite inspired after a long lunch with my dear friend Lorrie yesterday. We met at a local cafe and chatted for several hours over salads and raspberry iced tea - it was the perfect pick-me-up...we were having such a great chat, we completely lost track of time and when we finally checked our watches, it was 3 1/2 hours later...terrible for my work to-do list, but wonderful for my spirit - I departed feeling happy, refreshed, and full of inspiration.

Lorrie totally surprised me with a gift bag full of birthday pressies - the theme was "her favorite things", which was totally awesome, as I really admire her taste and sense of style. Included in the lovely wrapped treasures: a stack of fat quarters she picked up at a quilt shop on her trip to California (aren't they FABULOUS!); a large vintage wooden spool - which are all the rage - and after reading about some she found on a trip to the antique store and seeing some fun finishing ideas in "blogland", I had mentioned I really wanted (thanks for sharing Lorrie!); and two adorable snack mats (mug rugs) that she made herself - I LOVE THESE!

Some of the other fun "favorite things" she included were several OPI Avojuice lotions (which are so smooth and smell "out of this world"...a jar of Red Chile Jelly and a jar of hot habanero salsa - YUM-O! She also made me a soft beautiful black scarf (in my opinion, a girl can never have too many scarfs). Finally, there was a Flameless LED Battery Pillar Candle (Night Light w/Timer) featuring iron heart images - this candle is actually really unique - it even smells like vanilla and the light flickers. It is from the "Where Sisters Gather" Etsy shop - and there is even one available with a needlework sampler design (I may just have to order another!).

It was such a treat spending a couple hours with Lorrie - catching up, talking about our creative endeavors, and sharing about our lives. Suddenly all the stress I was feeling melted away and I couldn't remove the smile from my face - her friendship truly enhances my life....Lorrie, thank you for the special afternoon!

Tomorrow I am meeting my dear friends Merry and Kimber for lunch and (hopefully) a visit to Valley Junction and the cupcake shop - we planned this months ago and I am super excited to see them both...so you know I will have more to share in the next couple days!

8 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to you!! What wonderful surprises. What a sweet friend you have indeed! I am so glad you had a wonderful day, which you are so deserving of :)
    Raggedystitches,
    Louise xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What terrific goodies to receive from Lorrie! That candle is fabulous and very unique! Love the hearts! Glad you enjoyed your lunch and time out! Have a fabulous day tomorrow with Kimber and Merry!

    Robin

    PS Please eat a cupcake for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a wonderful afternoon. Lovely goodies you received.
    Have fun tomorrow and have a chocolate cupcake for me.
    Teresa's Heartfelt Stitches

    ReplyDelete
  4. happy birthday to you :) very sweet surprises..lovely goodies..
    love for you cucki xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great time, and great goodies too!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. A sweet surprise indeed! Those fabrics are gorgeous and I love the mats too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you've been getting some awesome gifts and having some special "gf time" - the best time spent is spent with friends and friends with needles is even better. Enjoy your weekend and your new toys and happy birthday - Melody

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Belated Birthday! I really enjoyed your bee post and seeing your great presents. I'm looking forward to hearing about your adventures with Merry and Kimber.

    ReplyDelete