Saturday, June 16, 2018

A Peek Inside My Design Process

Sometimes the most bizarre things inspire unique design ideas...and that was definitely the case when working on a recent AccuQuilt project. Today, I thought I would share a bit of my design process for the Studio Quilter's Basket Table Runner Pattern that was created for the new Studio Super Giant Strip Cutter. This new strip cutter die has four sizes of small strips all on one die:  ¾", 1", 1½", 2" (¼", ½", ¾", 1½" Finished)...and the challenge was to use all four of these strip sizes in a single project. I didn't want the project to be long, boring strips...I wanted something that stood out a bit more...something that hadn't been seen a million times....something that had some oomph! I immediately started playing with some design ideas in EQ8 (Electric Quilt 8 Quilt Design Software)....but I just couldn't compose a design that stood out to me. I decided to let the project rest for a moment - pause and hit the reset button. I resolved to take our German Shepherd puppy for a walk and clear my head...and along the way, I found my inspiration...

While walking several blocks away from our home, I spied a couple vintage-looking webbed lawn chairs (which I hadn't seen since my childhood)...retro folding lawn chairs with woven bright colored webbing strips for the back and seat. At that moment, it became clear - I would use those lawn chairs as a base design for my current project. I grabbed my iPhone, snapped a few photos, and headed back to my studio to get my idea drawn up in EQ8. To my surprise, it translated really well! I got a single block designed....then reversed two colors for a second block...at that moment, I knew I had it figured out...the Quilter's Basket Table Runner was born. Once I had the pattern written, I really wanted to name the design after those retro-looking webbed lawn chairs, but I thought it might get lost in translation...with the pattern having a "basketweave" look, Quilter's Basket seemed like a logical title...but you, my friends, now know the true story behind the design!

It was quite fun to create the sample...and I only used two cutting dies - the new Studio Super Giant Strip Cutter- ¾", 1", 1½", 2" (¼", ½", ¾", 1½" Finished) and the Studio Super Giant Strip Cutter-2½" (2" Finished) for binding. The blocks are easy to piece by creating strip sets and sub-cutting...

You can currently download the pattern for free by visiting:
https://www.accuquilt.com/studio-quilter-s-basket-table-runner-pattern.html






There you have it - design inspiration found in an unlikely object. I hope this post will encourage you to look for creative ideas in unusual places! Take a little time this weekend to see the beauty that surrounds you...

2 comments:

  1. I remember those retro lawn chairs; my grandparents had a number of them as we were growing up. What a cool inspiration for your design, Belinda! Way to go! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea, it looks fabulous!
    Mom used to have some of those chairs, until they got weathered and my then future SIL sat down and went right through the bottom.
    We all had a good laugh that day! Even my future SIL!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete