Friday, July 12, 2013

Friendship Friday

This week has been full of deadlines and goals for me...and truth be told, I have been pretty much overwhelmed by my ever-growing Blue Ribbon Designs to-do list, household chores and yard work, and our two dogs. It seems my schedule is always full and I can't find the balance I so desperately need. Today, however, I took a break from the craziness and enjoyed "Friendship Friday"...a Friday where I meet two of my very dear girlfriends (Mary and Lorrie) for lunch and just relax for a couple hours...and today was made even more special, as we were celebrating Lorrie's birthday!  We met at one of our favorite restaurants "On The Border" for a little Mexican fiesta...we had fabulous food and spent some much needed time catching up  - conversing about our lives and families and everything in-between...and afterwards, Lorrie opened her birthday gifts.

I always have fun working on birthday gifts for my close friends...and although I usually sew and quilt many of my presents, this time I changed things up a bit. I decided to make Lorrie a little friendship photo album, with pictures from our recent road trips and outings. I used chipboard tags and covered them with pretty scrapbook papers and added the photos...using one of my favorite gadgets - a 5" Xyron Creative Station (OMG - I love this fancy little machine that makes pretty much anything adhesive)!  I also used a 1.5" Xyron Create-A-Sticker to adhere chipboard buttons, laces, trims, and rick rack. Yes, I adore these Xyron products...and wish I had more of their fabulous crafting supplies - do you hear me Xyron?? - I heart you (no affiliation, their stellar products just make my crafting life better)! It was so much fun printing out the photos and then working with my stash to decorate this fun friendship book...digging through ribbons, laces, trims, and buttons always brings me joy!






I also decided to stitch Lorrie a pendant. This from Milady's Needle, titled Quaker Pendants II - it is stitched over-one on 36-count fabric...and then I backed it with a piece of retired Blackbird Designs sampler fabric stabilized with fusible interfacing. This is the second one of these pendants I have made for a gift...I think I need to get an additional pendant, so I can finally make one for myself!



I also have to share this book with you - I purchased this book for Lorrie months ago, after we had a discussion on using vintage handkerchiefs in sewing projects. This lovely book has fabulous ideas for using those special antique hankies, laces, doilies, and ribbon you may be holding on to...


It was a lovely luncheon and we all commented on how we need to do it more often...in fact, I think every Friday should be "Friendship Friday"....

Tonight, after an evening walk, I am hoping to finish up the last set of needlework smalls for my upcoming new releases. I am getting ready to send out a large printing order and I am crossing my fingers I can get all the files and photography completed this weekend (or early next week). There are new designs on the way and I can't wait to share them with you!

Finally - I am truly touched by the AMAZING response I have received for "Red Rosies and Pink Posies" - the support, encouragement, and beautiful e-mails I have received are heartwarming. Your generosity is beyond compare - and I sincerely thank each and every beautiful soul who has made a donation and/or spread the word about this special design and my fundraising page for the Susan G. Komen 3-Day! I still have until November to meet and surpass my goal...and (for those of you who have asked) my special exclusive design for donors will be available until that time. Please continue to help me spread the word...and I will continue to train and work hard to make sure all my supporters proud!


4 comments:

  1. What fun and precious treasures you created for Lorrie! Hmmm...Friendship Friday sounds like a wonderful idea! Looking forward to seeing your new releases, Belinda!

    Have a fabulous weekend!

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your 'Friendship Friday' sounds wonderful Belinda - I love that idea ;)
    And those gifts are all so lovely... the photo album will be treasured I'm sure, Rx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Xyron products look pretty cool, and seems like they're on sale at amazon - not sure how long the sale lasts though!

    ReplyDelete