Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Festive Fabric Envelopes

I have had minimal time for sewing lately - but over the weekend, I managed to try out a newly purchased pattern. I cut the pieces on Saturday evening - quilted and binded them on Sunday - then finished up these fun fabric envelopes last night. The pattern is called Hold That Thought! (TP#102) by The Teacher's Pet - it is one of their "Simple Pleasures" patterns, which are great for using up small pieces/scraps of fabric. It has directions for four sizes of gift envelopes - the smallest one (shown top right) is made with two charm squares (5" squares) of fabric...isn't it adorable?! I started out by making the two larger envelopes, as I really wanted to try out my new binding tool (The Binding Tool by TQM Products) and I needed at least 14" on one side to use it correctly. I absolutely LOVE this binding tool and am so thrilled I was able to find one while I was in Franklin, TN - I am always looking for ways to improve my binding techniques, and this tool is definitely a "keeper". After working on the two larger envelopes, I knew I just *had to* make the smallest one - after all, it is so cute! These fabric envelopes are perfect for a beginner and use minimal supplies - the smallest envelope only needs two 5" squares of fabric, a 5" square of batting, and a binding strip....plus they are almost instant gratification, as they sew up quite quickly and easily. I plan to make these for some upcoming gifts using the recipient's favorite fabrics and filling them with special treasures.

5 comments:

  1. What a neat project! Your fabric envelopes turned out great! Glad you had a bit of sewing time!

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. That teeny tiny envelope is just precious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful envelopes you made. Love the fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your envelpoes, what a great idea for carribg along stitching items.
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete