Tuesday, September 22, 2015

"Snowmates"

My copies of the Just CrossStitch 2015 Special Christmas Ornament Issue arrived last week, and I am pleased to share my contribution to the magazine with you. My ornament is titled "Snowmates" and can be found on page 20...and this year, I included my recipe (actually my grandmother's recipe) for Neine's Old Fashioned Molasses Cookies (which I will also share later in this pre-holiday post). My 2015 ornament features two adorable snowmen and complements my woodland ornaments from the past several years - and as usual, combines cross stitch over both one and two linen threads. I stitched the model on 40-count Mocha linen from Weeks Dye Works (same as previous ornaments in this series) and used Weeks Dye Works cotton floss (DMC conversions are provided). I opted for a flat-finish with two-tone cord as an embellishment....and as a little finishing tip for those of you using the 40-count linen - I used standard hotel room keys padded with cotton batting (or you could use fake or expired credit cards) instead of the padded mounting board that the magazine suggests...they are the perfect size!





....as promised, I will now share my grandmother's recipe for one of my very favorite cookies! As a child, one of my favorite holiday traditions was baking and decorating Christmas cookies with my mother and sister. Spending a day in the kitchen baking well-loved holiday sweets was always a special treat. This family recipe for molasses cookies is a personal favorite that will make your kitchen and home smell divine.

Neine's Old Fashioned Molasses Cookies

¾ shortening
1 cup sugar
1 egg
5 tablespoons molasses
2 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon each: cloves, cinnamon, ginger

Blend together shortening and sugar; beat in egg and molasses. Sift together flour, baking soda, and spices; combine with butter mixture. Form into balls and roll in sugar. Place on a parchment paper-covered cookie sheet and bake in a 350° oven for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.

I hope you make a little time to stitch, bake, and/or create this week...

5 comments:

  1. What a cute ornament you created and stitched, Belinda! I am hoping my copy will be here by the time I get back. Enjoy your week!

    xoxox,
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got the magazine last night have yet to study it properly but did have a quick flick through and saw yours :) love mouse xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I received my copy last week. Your snowcouple is adorable. I grew up baking cookies at Christmas with mom too. I still do it, it just doesn't feel like Christmas if I don't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a very cute design Belinda, congratulations on it being in the Mag!
    Because my Christmas is summer time (Australia) I may perhaps be more inclined to stitch this for a US or UK friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm DEFINITELY trying this on an expired gift card. I'll post my finish when it's done. Thanks for the tip!!!

    ReplyDelete