Thursday, October 31, 2013

Pink Halloween

Today we celebrate Halloween and the last day of Breast Cancer Awareness Month...which makes complete sense, because cancer is extremely scary (but it is definitely not a trick or a treat). I decided to spend my Halloween afternoon on a training walk and prepare for the Komen 3-Day which will be here in just two short weeks. Now that I have kicked my head cold to the curb, I have been able to get back to walking (just fewer miles) and I am feeling ready for the 60-miles in San Diego. While I was walking this afternoon, I was reflecting on my journey thus far and my last minute preparations...and my phone chimed with the BEST news...our Team Twinkle Toes (five fabulous walking members and one amazing medical crew member) hit the big $25,000 fundraising mark....yep, we surpassed $25,000 with two weeks to go!!! I am also excited to share that I, personally, am just shy of reaching an astounding $8,000...which I REALLY hope to surpass...anyone think I can reach $10,000 in the next two weeks (where is a corporate sponsor when I need one?)??? WOW - I am almost completely speechless and touched beyond belief - a HUGE thank you to everyone who has supported and encouraged both me and my fellow teammates - I am so very thankful. I also want to take a moment and express my gratitude to those of you who have made cash donations to our team captain for expenses - those gifts are helping to make our financial load lighter and I thank you from the bottom of my heart. Who knew how expensive this journey would be??...from shoes and socks to camping gear to medical aids to round trip airfare...then gas expenses to get to San Diego, hotel fees, shuttle fees, towel service, meals...the list goes on and on. I am feeling so very blessed to have so much love and support! I can't believe I leave for California in a week and a half...and I am shipping out most of the walk necessities tomorrow (with only one suitcase for my flight, I am not wasting any of my allotted 50 pounds on a sleeping bag, air mattress, and pillow...or drop cloths, flashlight, clothes pins, cinch sacks or any of the other walking necessities)...because we all know I pack like a girl. I have been gathering all the needed gear for months and after my walk this evening, I got it all boxed up for the trip to California...one more thing off my list...and now it all seems so real...two weeks from tonight I will be in San Diego getting a good meal and (hopefully) a good night of sleep before our 5:00 AM arrival for the opening ceremonies...

To read more about the Komen 3-Day, my reasons for walking, and/or support me and my fellow teammates on this incredible journey, visit: http://www.the3day.org/goto/Belinda

Okay, so after all the "pink" talk, I haven't forgotten about Halloween or my fellow needleworkers...here is a little Halloween collage featuring many of your favorite spooky Blue Ribbon Designs...

Happy Halloween to all my friends, family, and followers - I heart you!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for doing the walk...my aunt passed away in May of this year from breast cancer. She fought this horrible disease for almost 3 years. I admire people like you who give of your time and energy to help with the fight! God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, Belinda! It is almost here! Does it seem real yet? Thank you for walking.

    Happy belated Halloween to you!

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations to team Twinkle Toes what a great surprise for you that you hit such a high amount before the race.
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete