Friday, October 11, 2013

Honesty, Beauty, and Grace

About a month ago, I did a blog post explaining one of the reasons I am walking in the Komen 3-Day next month (60 miles in 3 days)...in this earlier post (for those of you who did not already have the sincere pleasure of knowing her) I introduced you to Cathey (or "Pumpkin" as most of the blog community knows her). At the time, Cathey was knee deep in complications from Stage 4 Breast Cancer - and she was blogging about her diagnosis with honesty, beauty, and grace. The news of Cathey's passing reached me yesterday evening and has quickly spread throughout the needlework community - Cathey's dear friend Katie has been contacting her friends and fellow needleworkers with this heartbreaking news and has done several blog posts honoring Pumpkin (visit http://kscott77.blogspot.com to read a little more and see some beautiful photos of Cathey).

Cathey and I had several email conversations since I made my post in September, and I wanted to share a couple of these notes with you - they show what an extraordinary person she was - how loving and caring she was - and how she put everyone else's needs and feelings above her own....

From: 'Pumpkin'
Sent: Sunday, September 08, 2013 1:18 PM
To: Blue Ribbon Designs
Subject: [Samplings From A Blue Ribbon Girl] New comment on One of the Reasons....

Pumpkin has left a new comment on your post "One of the Reasons...":

Dear Belinda, I just read your post and to say that I'm speechless is an understatement. I am SO honored that you thought of me. Out of all the other women out there, I can't believe that my name is the one that came to your mind. I respect anyone who goes out there and walks/runs for those they love. I know you will achieve your goal and I will be thinking of you. I only wish we lived closer so that I could take you out to lunch and give you a great big hug ;o) ((((HUGS)))) Cathey
Btw - I love your design! So full of versatility. Beautifully done! 

_______________________________________________________________________

From: Blue Ribbon Designs
Sent: Sunday, September 8, 2013 6:54 PM
To: 'Pumpkin'
Subject: RE: [Samplings From A Blue Ribbon Girl] New comment on One of the Reasons....

Hi Cathey,

Your blog posts have touched me deeply - I think about you each and every day - I truly admire you and definitely feel you are an inspiration. I am the one who wishes we loved closer, so I could take YOU to lunch and brighten your days. Know I am sending good vibes your way...you got this...

I am attaching a copy of my "pink" project just for you - I hope it makes you smile.

Keep being positive...and if you EVER need an ear, seriously, I am here for you...you will be in my thoughts and my heart when I do the 60-mile walk in San Diego in November!

xoxo,

Belinda
_________________________________________________________________________

From: Cathey Magill [mailto:chinbit@ns.sympatico.ca]
Sent: Monday, September 09, 2013 2:47 PM
To: Blue Ribbon Designs
Subject: Re: [Samplings From A Blue Ribbon Girl] New comment on One of the Reasons....

Oh Belinda!  I’m completely shocked!  You didn’t need to do that.  I actually opened your email late, late, late last night but had to wait to respond because I was just too emotional...  I am so happy to receive your special pattern :)  And that’s what it is, special.  Hopefully I will have time to stitch at least something from it.  After looking at it over and over again, I do have an idea in mind...

Would you mind if I ‘borrowed’ your picture of this design or if you sent it to me by email?  I’d love to write a post on my Blog.  I won’t mention that you sent me the pattern as a gift if you don’t want me to.  I know some people are very sensitive about that sort of thing >:o( .

I feel very small though for not sponsoring you though :(  You’ve gone and done something so kind and generous.  I hope you don’t think that I’m being ungrateful.  You see, I send a monthly donation to the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation and have been doing so for almost 12 years now.  I hope you understand...

I can tell you one thing I would like to see in the future.  I know runs like this raise the money for breast cancer research and that is the most important but after having Edwin I’ve realized they’re missing something.  How great would it be to have a program to help out new/single/low income mothers who are diagnosed?  I’m extremely blessed because my parents just picked up and moved down here to help us out but what if you had no one?  DH and I have been talking about this for awhile now and I wish there was someway to set up a foundation.  Maybe if I win the lottery very soon!  LOL!

Listen, I have babbled on for way too long.  It might be the pain medication so please forgive me if I’ve said something that’s offended you!  Does the warning Do Not Operate Machinery apply to computers as well?  ;)

Big hugs,
Cathey

This conversation continued in several more messages, but you get the point...Cathey had a beautiful soul and truly touched lives...she was a rare shining star. I am honored that I had a chance to get to know her...and I am honored to walk 60 miles for her in November...and I will keep walking until there is a cure...


...and now for something that would make Cathey smile...
Thanks to the love and support of my dear friends, family, and the AMAZING needlework community, I have reached my fundraising goal of $7,500 for the Komen 3-Day!! Yes, I am happy dancing!! I am so very touched by the show of support and the notes I have received - thank you so very much. I can't even begin to express my gratitude - I am overwhelmed by your kindness, love, and genuine support. I have heard from several people that I should raise my goal higher...that I might get more donations if I was still working to reaching my goal...but I think all of you know that no matter what my thermometer reads, I will still be trying to raise funds for breast cancer education and awareness - my goal will always be "more"...if you haven't already, please consider making a donation - no amount is too small...and of course, no amount is too large....we CAN make a difference....and don't forget, my "Red Rosies and Pink Posies" needlework chart is still available to those who make a donation of $15 or more. You can read all about my journey, see my progress, and make a donation by visiting: http://www.the3day.org/goto/Belinda 
I will continue to train and raise funds...and I plan to take every step of the 60 miles - for Cathey, for my many supporters, for the survivors, and for the fighters...

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful tribute to Cathey. Thank you for sharing, Belinda!

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two amazing women...love what you are doing, Belinda; and, am heartbroken at losing a dear blogging and stitching friend in Cathey. She will always be remembered for her bravery, dedication, and strength, but even more for her sweet and loving heart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Belinda,
    Your post says it all...Cathey was amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Hugs,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for everything! Your site is great and above all your advice !
    voyance par mail

    ReplyDelete