Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Sewing and Stitching

I have been spending the majority of my days stitching/designing new models and sewing/quilting my holiday gifts - I am keeping busy from sun"up" until way past sun"down". Today I managed to finish up three personalized journals...and my list is down to one wall hanging quilt and one other larger project and then all my gifts will be complete - I am hoping to start wrapping and shipping early next week. I can only show you one of the journals, as the fabrics were chosen for specific recipients (and they all read my blog)...so I am only showing you one and I have removed the name...maybe you will get a peek at the others in the future.

I have shown quite a few of these journal covers to you before - they are so much fun to work on...and easy to personalize! For those of you who are new to my blog - here are the specifics details... The cover actually fits over a composition notebook that can easily be found at any office supply store - it measures 9 3/4" h x 7 1/2"w. The supply list is minimal - this is a great project for using up scraps of fabric...and they can easily be embellished with all sorts of trims, buttons, and/or embroidery. Best of all, there are two FREE patterns available online! The pattern used for the journal in my photo is from an older Quilts and More Quarterly Challenge and can be found in PDF form on the allpeoplequilt.com website. For a slightly smaller version (made to fit a spiral bound A5 art diary 8 1/4" h x 6 1/4" w) visit the Moda Bake Shop Blog for an excellent tutorial called "Journal Covers". These journals are the perfect size for making a list, taking notes, or writing down your personal thoughts....and to top it off, make a lovely gift! I have made quite a few of these and each one is unique and special - I like to embroider the recipients name on a piece of wool felt or fabric and applique it to the front...and there are so many other ways you could make these covers recipient specific. I hope you will try making one of these fun quilted journals...for yourself...and/or a friend!

5 comments:

  1. You have created another lovely journal cover! It sounds like you are making awesome progress on your holiday gifts! Good for you, Belinda!

    Wishing you a fabulous Friday!

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. The journals are nice Belinda.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty! Love the cotton fabrics that you used! :)
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete