Saturday, March 26, 2011

Paper Pieced Patchwork

Today I am in the middle of cutting and serging 144 pieces of linen for an upcoming class, it is a big job, but actually pretty relaxing - I just put on my iPod and get in a rhythm. After I finished cutting all the pieces, I decided to take a short break. I have been anxious to work on a very intricate paper pieced quilting project...but before I started, I definitely wanted to do a little paper piecing refresher and get my brain back into that way of thinking (those of you who quilt and have tried paper piecing will completely relate). I decided to do a small heart block and use up a few more of those scraps I have been saving. This block is 8" x 8" finished...and I am not sure what I am going to do with it yet...maybe a small pillow or a pot holder. As soon as I started, I got back into the flow and I am now ready to tackle the more detailed project in my "to-do" pile. I took a class in paper piecing at a local quilt shop several years ago and many of the tips and tricks have actually stayed with me. I really enjoy foundation piecing - you get great points and exact lines, plus you can have unique and very small shapes. As much as I would like to start my bigger project today, I am going to be diligent and get back to serging my pile of cut linen....tomorrow is another day...

3 comments:

  1. Terrific quilt block! Your fabric choices look great together! Glad you had some 'me' time in between prepping fabric for your upcoming class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that is so lovely - great fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely square. I have done some paper piecing and enjoy it...can't wait to see the other project!

    ReplyDelete