Friday, February 18, 2011

A Touch of Spring

What a beautiful few days we have had here in Iowa...the sun has been shining, temperatures are unseasonably warm, and most of the snow and ice has melted away....and although we have not seen the end of the cold and snow, this vacation from winter weather has been welcomed with open arms! I am itching for spring to arrive...and little signs are popping up - I heard birds singing outside my bedroom window this morning, kids are outside playing basketball this afternoon, and it seems everyone is outside walking their dog. It is fun to see fresh patterns and fabrics arriving in shops...and summer clothing is already on store racks. This is the time of year I am itching to spring clean my home and start fresh for the year ahead. I was telling my girlfriends - I just want a few days off to wash and scrub everything - a deep cleaning - get rid of the winter blahs.

Yesterday, I received the cutest package in the mail...and it definitely put me in the mood for spring! My dear friend Lorrie send me the sweetest birthday card...along with a gorgeous pale pink wall-mount bud vase and beautiful rose handkerchief. This was one of those super surprise packages that was completely unexpected and immediately made me smile. I have not seen a bud vase quite like this one before...it is cone-shaped with a flat back and a hole at the top for hanging - isn't it wonderful?! It is the perfect touch of spring for my home. I was also giddy with the handkerchief - it has a stunning rose pattern - and handkerchiefs are really making a comeback...there are numerous new books and articles featuring them and their uses in sewing and craft projects. I was tickled to receive such a thoughtful gift for my special day. Like I said yesterday - friendships are definitely good for the soul - I am so extremely blessed!

4 comments:

  1. What wonderful goodies to receive! Enjoy these early spring like days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've received some wonderful gifts from your friends over the last few days! You're very blessed to have such sweet friends.
    That bud vase is very unique. I don't think I've seen one like it before either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so blessed with friends. I love that little vase. I will have to keep my eye out for something similiar. I have been following your blog and look forward to actually meeting you in your 2nd fall retreat in NH.

    ReplyDelete