Thursday, February 10, 2011

A Personalized Treasure - Filet Crochet Nameplate

Wow, what a week this has been - I had so many things I wanted to accomplish and so many fun things to do...but sometimes life has other plans for us...and this time, it planned another head cold/flu for me. It started a couple mornings ago when I woke up with absolutely no voice and watery eyes and now has dragged on for a few days adding a terrible dry cough - ugh! I have finally figured out I must need more sleep because I feel great when I wake up and then my health goes down hill rapidly throughout the day. In any case, business must be done, so I have been working in all my waking moments - getting the market charts bagged and packaged for shipping, taking care of shops emails and orders, and putting the final touches on my class piece for the Heartland Stitch Counters Retreat.

With my birthday on the calendar this week, I have had several fun surprises that I want to share with you...but today I must share a special surprise that had absolutely nothing to do with my birthday or Valentine's Day. This beautiful treasure was sent to me from a new stitching friend I had the pleasure of meeting when I was teaching in Mystic, CT last fall...and to say I was blown away to get this surprise would be a HUGE understatement. This absolutely gorgeous filet crochet nameplate arrived in my mailbox this week and I was stunned. My close friends know that I do not crochet or knit - I just don't have a talent for it - I can do one long chain, but when it comes to adding rows, forget about it - so I have a enormous appreciation for knitted and crocheted items and for those who are patient enough to make them! After meeting Liz in class, I knew she was extremely creative and talented - she is one of those needleworkers who just jumps in and adds her own unique style. I was able to see an array of her finished projects at Stitcher's Hideaway and she added her own special touches to each and every one. To receive such a thoughtful "just because" gift truly touched me. I will definitely be taking it to my framer, so I can hang it in my studio...it needs a special home where I can admire it daily. Thank you Liz - I will treasure this handmade personalized gift!

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful piece...as someone who has done filet crochet, I know the work involved...she must think very highly of you....just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is simply gorgeous that Liz created for you! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow it looks great! Can't wait to see it framed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really beautiful! I've crocheted a few things like this in my time and know you must have felt a big warm hug when you opened it. It is truly an exceptional example of filet crochet. Lorrie

    ReplyDelete