Wednesday, November 1, 2023

"Peppermint Pressie" - my 2023 Cross Stitch Christmas Ornament

Peppermint Pressie ©Copyright 2023 Belinda Karls-Nace/Blue Ribbon Designs, LLC http://www.blueribbondesigns.blogspot.com
Greetings friends - thank you for stopping by for a visit. Today is a very special day - it is my 2023 Christmas Ornament release day! I hope you will take a moment and actually read this post and about the sentiment behind this design...then follow the link to my website for the chart...

A quick history for those who are new to my blog and/or designs...
For fifteen years, I was one of the featured designers in the Just CrossStitch Special Christmas Ornament Issue. This magazine is a fan favorite and is highly anticipated every year. For fifteen years, I was invited and participated in this special issue without payment - the issue that Just CrossStitch Magazine always boasts is their "best-selling" issue of the year. In 2020, I received my 16th invitation to design an ornament for 2021 and I decided to stand up for myself and my fellow designers by publicly calling out JCS magazine on their outdated policy. I asked them start paying designers fair compensation for their work...for without designers, there would be no needlework industry.  You can read about my thought process and the letter I submitted to them (along with their response) here:
https://blueribbondesigns.blogspot.com/2020/12/the-end-of-era-finding-my-worth.html

Keeping with tradition, I still wanted to create a cross stitch Christmas ornament each year, but I wanted to do it on my own terms...and today I am excited to share my 2023 design with you!

For the past couple years, I have struggled with how to release my holiday ornament, as I have tried to put more value in myself and my artistry. I didn't want to provide my ornament design for free to a publication/corporation that was profiting from it, as I truly believe that artists should be compensated appropriately for their work. However, the last couple years, I found myself wanting to provide it directly to my fans and needleworkers for free...and this year, my feelings have not changed. In a year full of challenges, unrest and divide, I want to do something positive and share some joy - after all, sheer happiness comes from giving. These last couple years have been rough - many have needed love, hope, positivity and strength to overcome challenges, loss, and anger - and during this season of giving, even with my own challenges and struggles, I have an abundance of blessings. Today, I want to thank YOU for a multitude of things: for allowing me the opportunity to continue to pursue my passion - for your kind support of my needlework and quilting designs - for making purchases in my Etsy Shop - for inspiring me - for your uplifting comments, notes and e-mails - and for sharing your enthusiasm of all things needle and thread with me. 

Peppermint Pressie ©Copyright 2023 Belinda Karls-Nace/Blue Ribbon Designs, LLC http://www.blueribbondesigns.blogspot.com

My 2023 Christmas ornament is called "Peppermint Pressie" and is available as a complimentary pattern. It complements my previous ornaments and is in the same style as my 2020, 2021, and 2022 ornaments (Rejoicing Reindeer, My Frosty Friend, and Bundled Up Birdie). I continued in my flat-finish tradition (if you stitch it on 32-count fabric, 3 1/4" circles work perfectly) and used DMC floss (321 and 505) to make two-tone twisted cord. I decided to attach a 3/8" red gingham ribbon bow with a couple 1/2" red jingle bells. I used hand-dyed 32-count fabric this year....search your stash for a darker neutral fabric...just make sure the white floss will stand out. I used Weeks Dye Works cotton floss for the model and provide DMC conversions with the chart, if you prefer. I truly hope this happy squirrel, wearing a scarf  and gifting a candy cane will bring you joy - please stitch it with a happy heart. 

You can find the printable PDF chart here:

I kindly ask you do not post the actual chart on the Internet/social media or on Pinterest - instead, post a photo of the finished piece and/or direct users to this post or my website.

For those who have kindly asked if they could purchase this ornament design in the spirit of valuing my work (your messages make my heart happy!), I ask you talk about my designs with your stitching friends (spread the word about Blue Ribbon Designs) and/or visit my Etsy Shop to make a purchase...or you can Buy Me a Coffee or shop at Amazon via my link...it is definitely not required or necessary, but truly appreciated - thank you for supporting my creativity and valuing my artistry!💕

Peppermint Pressie ©Copyright 2023 Belinda Karls-Nace/Blue Ribbon Designs, LLC http://www.blueribbondesigns.blogspot.com

Peppermint Pressie ©Copyright 2023 Belinda Karls-Nace/Blue Ribbon Designs, LLC http://www.blueribbondesigns.blogspot.com

To be fair, I want to note, Just CrossStitch Magazine has since changed their policy going forward (starting with the 2022 Christmas Ornament Issue) - they are now compensating designers for submissions. I should also note - they have not invited me to design an ornament since I sent them the letter in December 2020 and posted about it publicly online. I want to thank each and every one of you who spread the word regarding my blog post and called out Just CrossStitch Magazine for their outdated non-compensation policy (my message truly went viral!). Thankfully, we did make a difference!..and while they did not reach out to me for the 2022 or 2023 publication, I am proud of myself and everyone who stood with me to make this change that benefits all cross stitch designers working with them in the future. Thank you for helping me find my voice and make a difference.

Finally - if you plan to stitch "Peppermint Pressie,"  I hope you will share an image of your progress or finished ornament on social media and tag me, so I can see it.

Enjoy and stitch it with joy in your heart!

Peppermint Pressie ©Copyright 2023 Belinda Karls-Nace/Blue Ribbon Designs, LLC http://www.blueribbondesigns.blogspot.com

9 comments:

  1. Peppermint Pressie is so adorable, dear friend. I was wondering what would be featured this year and I love your choice of the squirrel. It makes me smile. I plan on continuing my tradition of making your annual ornament my last start/finish for 2023. Thank you for the gift of this chart! xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's absolutely adorable! Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peppermint Pressie is perfect! I think it is amazing for you to offer it! I won't go into it here, but I know exactly how you feel about the lack of compensation for your creative efforts! Rest assured the rest of us appreciate it greatly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You finally did a squirrel! (It’s all about the squirrel. Still makes me laugh.) He’s adorable. Definitely being added to the list to stitch ASAP!

    And thanks for all you’ve done to stand up for designers and supporting the integrity of your work, and theirs. Talent and skill should be valued. Thanks for sharing yours with us needleworkers. Hugs. ~Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  5. I downloaded the free charts yesterday and hope to get started on them soon! They are SO cute! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Belinda: Thank-you for an adorable design, I have stitched some of your Christmas designs in the past, I am so happy you were able to get the magazine to compensate designers, it is a shame they have not reached out to you for one of your designs for the ornament issue, it makes me upset.
    I enjoy seeing what you are up too, you have a wonderful design talent in stitching and other crafts, thank-you from my big old heart.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your generosity. I have purchased many of your patterns as they are so fun to stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the adorable Christmas design. Hopeful it will be stitched before Christmas. PattiK

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the sweet Christmas design!

    ReplyDelete