Monday, November 22, 2010

Putting My Perfectionist Gene On Hold...

Today started off perfectly. I had to take Simba to the groomer, so I headed out this morning to the grooming salon in Ankeny - after I dropped him off, I was lucky enough to meet my friend Merry for a little retail therapy at the local quilt shops and then lunch at the marvelous Hickory Park....we had a very fun time (as usual) and I found most of what I needed for some holiday sewing/quilting. My days have been a bit (or should I say WAY) out of control and it was a great way to clear my head for few hours and vent to my dear friend (she's a great listener!). I have been so busy with model work for 2011, I think I am on autopilot - deadlines galore and only so many hours in the day...it felt good to get out of my studio and just breathe. I have been kind of down lately and this trip out and about brought back a little burst of happy energy that I needed desperately! Feeling guilty for being out of the office for several hours today, I rushed home and frantically tried to catch-up with work and correspondence (a battle I can't quite win)....but the time away was more than worth it.

Tonight I had an appointment where I knew I was going to have a long wait - the kind of appointment you take your stitching to because you need something to make the time pass quickly. I really couldn't take my model work with me - it is too involved and needs to much of my concentration...so I took a simple embroidery project that I have had ready to go for over a year. Last year sometime, I finished "Fall" by Mac-A-Doodles (right) - I enjoy it so much, I keep it out year-round....so last autumn I picked up a coordinating design and frame called "Pumpkin Patch" (below)...I liked that the frames matched and thought I would stitch it up right away. Well, a year came and went and it was still in the to-do pile waiting to be done. In a rush to get out the door, I grabbed it and was on my way...and it was the perfect traveling project - I actually finished it in one sitting - came home and framed it in moments....instant gratification...and a nice addition to my Thanksgiving decorating. There is just something special about the Mac-A-Doodles projects, they make me happy - they are primitive, yet whimsical - easy to stitch - and to me, they are comforting...and the bonus, I get to put my perfectionist gene on hold for a bit and just stitch.

So, that was my day...I am finally home (with a newly completed project) and ready to get back to my model work. I hope you find a little time to work on a project that makes you happy!

6 comments:

  1. They are so lovely...relaxing to look at. Sometimes simpler is beautiful. Have a pleasant Thanksgiving Day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice finishing - Love the frames :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! Amazing what a few hours with a friend and no responsibilities can do your your spirits. Enjoy your lovely fall pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What sweet stitchery! Would you share how you transfer the designs to the fabric? I know there are several ways, but I'm just looking for advice and tips. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love both your pieces of embroidery! Glad your outing with Merry was a wonderful break for you!

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pumpkins are so cute - I love the vine texture in the frame! My bff (also Mary - just a little different in the spelling) always helps lift my mood and is a much needed "date"! Hope you have a relaxing and wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete