Friday, December 4, 2009

From My Kitchen...

We all have those "go to" recipes...the ones when you have a family gathering or a potluck that everyone wants you to bring...the ones that everyone asks for the recipe...my "go to" recipe is for stuffed mushrooms. I started out years ago with a basic recipe and have continued to make changes...years later, I have finally tweaked my own recipe to (what I think is) perfection. So, here is my original recipe...from my kitchen to yours...happy holidays and enjoy!

Blue Ribbon Stuffed Mushrooms
1 Pound of mushrooms (washed and stems removed)
3 tablespoons margarine (softened, not melted)
1/4 cup finely chopped bell pepper (I like to use a red pepper)
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup Feta cheese (crumbled)
2 strips of cooked bacon (crumbled) (real bacon bits make it easier!)
1 1/2 cups soft bread crumbs (I like to use moistened Pepperidge Farm Herb Seasoned stuffing mix)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper (fresh ground is best!)
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon thyme

Mix all ingredients except mushroom caps in a bowl - blending ingredients well. If your mixture seems a little dry, add some chicken broth or stock (or water) to the mixture to moisten. Fill mushroom caps with mixture. Place stuffed mushrooms in a lightly greased baking dish, then bake for 15-20 minutes in a 350-degree oven.

Stuffing mixture can be made and refrigerated a day early for stuffing the mushrooms the day of your event. ...and of course, the measurements don't have to be exact, this is just a guideline for ingredients - I usually just "eyeball" the measurements! I always make these during the holidays and they are a BIG hit...











3 comments:

  1. Those look so good. I'm definitely going to try this recipe out at Christmas. I'm always trying to find a new appetizer recipe and these look really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could eat the whole platter right now. :) Sounds wonderful. I may use this one for a stitch group potluck on the 14th.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look wonderful - thanks for sharing.
    Michelle x

    ReplyDelete