Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Teaching at the Enfield Shaker Village

The Enfield Shaker Museum (AKA The Great Stone Dwelling House)
It has been a busy month...and I have thoroughly enjoyed my recent teaching engagements! I just returned from the Enfield Shaker Museum (the Great Stone Dwelling House) in Enfield, NH, where I was teaching for the New England Stitcher's Retreat. Those of you who have followed my blog for quite some time know how much I love visiting the Enfield Shaker Village and teaching inside the Great Stone Dwelling House - it is a location rich with history and full of amazing imagery. Upon arrival at the Enfield Shaker Museum, I was pleased to find I was staying in the same room I have the past couple years...it almost feels like my home away from home. I arrived Thursday night around 10pm, and after a decent night of sleep was ready to spend Friday exploring the area with my dear friend (like a sister to me) Ruth....we headed to King Arthur Flour in Norwich, Vermont....then made our way to Brattleboro, VT to visit a lovely shop (Delectable Mountain Cloth) that our friends Patricia and Lesley told us about - it was a delightful day and I promise to share more with you in a future post. When we returned to the Great Stone Dwelling on Friday evening, it was time for a welcome reception, where I got to meet all the attendees and enjoy a glass of wine and wonderful food...it was quite fun to rotate through the tables and meet all the needleworkers in attendance. One of the fabulous things about the Enfield Shaker Museum - we have the entire building pretty much to ourselves throughout the event - we sleep there - we dine there - we have class there - we basically take over...and what a treat it is to spend a few uninterrupted days with needlework friends! Saturday we had class the majority of the day...I did manage to make it outside during our lunch hour to take some photos...then after dinner we had a very amusing game of "Yankee Swap" with all stitching related packages, followed by stitching and giggling into the wee hours. Sunday we had class through the mid-afternoon, then headed to ABC Stitch Therapy for shopping and a tea party (this was wonderful...and the new shop location is fantastic!)...then headed back to the Shaker Museum for dinner and more late night stitching/laughing. On the way back to the museum, we stopped at several locations on Mascoma Lake where I was able to take some more great photographs. Monday morning was a delicious hot breakfast and we all said our goodbyes...I then got to spend a little more quality time with my friend Ruth before heading back to Iowa. Here are some photos from the Enfield Shaker Village, the Great Stone Dwelling House, the classroom, and the surrounding area...

(L-R) The West Brethren's Shop, The Mary Keane Chapel, The Great Stone Dwelling

Front Entrance to the Great Stone Dwelling House...

My room in the Enfield Shaker Museum (Great Stone Dwelling) - #23

The Dining Room

Hallway in the Great Stone Dwelling

Classroom in the Great Stone Dwelling

Stitcher's Lounge set-up in the Great Stone Dwelling

Stitcher's Lounge set-up in the Great Stone Dwelling

Chairs set-up for the "Yankee Swap" game...


Enthusiastic attendees...

Enthusiastic attendees...

Dinner (a Thanksgiving style feast with carved turkey and ham) being served by
the staff from Mickey's Cafe and Tavern Room (http://www.mickeyscafe.net/) - delicious!

The Mary Keane Chapel

Laundry and Dairy

West Brethren's Shop, East Brethren's Shop - today the West Brethren's Shop (left)
houses Museum exhibits and workshop space...

West Brethren's Shop - Broom Making Exhibit

Inside West Brethren's Shop

Inside West Brethren's Shop

Inside West Brethren's Shop

Ministry House - constructed in 1880, was the last building built by the Enfield Shakers...

Stone Mill Building - constructed in 1849 after its predecessor burned down on the
same site - it contained three stories of water powered machinery for a variety of trades...

1854 Cow Barn

1854 Cow Barn

1854 Cow Barn

Enfield, NH at sunrise...early morning walk...

Enfield, NH at sunrise...early morning walk...

Enfield at sunset - Mascoma Lake Bridge (finally open)...

Mascoma Lake - dusk...

Mascoma Lake - dusk...

Mascoma Lake - dusk...

Over the next couple days I will share with you photos from my adventures in New Hampshire and Vermont...and from ABC Stitch Therapy in Grantham, NH (along with photos from our tea party). It is going to take me several days to get caught up and return all of my messages, so if you are waiting on me, I appreciate your patience...

11 comments:

  1. I can see why you love it there, I guess I need to visit that area. I didn't know King Arthur was there too, I use their flour and would love to visit the ABC stitchery. I have been to Dorr a few times, but then we head back down to go home.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an incredible photo journey you took us on, Belinda! What a treat to see this special place through your lens!

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Photos are fabulous, I have been to NH in summer to waterski, many moons ago. Our country is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AWESOME journey through your pictures. Thanks for taking the time to post them. Being selfish on my part I'm glad you are home. Hugs Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous pics, Belinda!! I loved visiting there this summer when I went up to King Arthur Flour for a baking class. It was gorgeous in the summer, but I'm sure with all the fall leaves and the seasons changing, these pics don't do the scenery justice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. greatttttt memories..
    lots of love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such beautiful photos! Now I wish I had attended this retreat, looks like it was a fun time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so jealous. I wish I could have come and taken your class again.
    Teresa's Heartfelt Stitches

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your pictures are just GORGEOUS!!!! I feel like I got to travel with you and I have enjoyed every one of them! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. As lovely as the Boardwalk was, this is more my kind of retreat! I love NH in the fall and this is an awesome location for your retreat. Thanks for sharing such fabulous pictures!

    ReplyDelete