Friday, December 2, 2022

"Bundled Up Birdie" - 2022 Cross Stitch Christmas Ornament

Bundled Up Birdie ©Copyright 2022 Belinda Karls-Nace/Blue Ribbon Designs, LLC http://www.blueribbondesigns.blogspot.com
Hello creative friends - thanks for stopping by for a visit! Today, I have a very special post that includes my 2022 Christmas Ornament

NOTE: If you are a regular reader of my blog, I'm sure you recall my post in December 2020 about the Just Cross Stitch Christmas Ornament Issue (if you have not read it, please take a look for context). 

I struggled with how to release my holiday ornament again this year, as over the last couple years I have tried to put more value in myself and my artistry. I didn't want to provide my ornament design for free to a publication/corporation that was profiting from it, as I truly believe that artists should be compensated appropriately for their work - see the noted link. However, last year, I found myself wanting to provide it directly to my fans and needleworkers for free...and this year, my feelings have not changed. In a year full of challenges, unrest and divide, I wanted to do something positive and share some joy - after all, sheer happiness comes from giving. Many have needed strength, love, hope and positivity to overcome challenges and loss over the past couple years - and during this season of giving, even with my own challenges and struggles, I have an abundance of blessings. Today, I want to thank YOU for a multitude of things: for allowing me the opportunity to continue to pursue my passion - for your kind support of my needlework and quilting designs - for making purchases in my Etsy Shop - for inspiring me - for your uplifting comments, notes and e-mails - and for sharing your enthusiasm of all things needle and thread with me. 

Bundled Up Birdie ©Copyright 2022 Belinda Karls-Nace/Blue Ribbon Designs, LLC http://www.blueribbondesigns.blogspot.com

My 2022 Christmas ornament is called "Bundled Up Birdie" and is available as a complimentary pattern. It complements my previous ornaments and is in the same style as my 2020 and 2021 ornaments (Rejoicing Reindeer and My Frosty Friend). I continued in my flat-finish tradition (if you stitch it on 32-count fabric, 3 1/4" circles work perfectly) and used DMC floss (321 and 505) to make two-tone twisted cord. I decided to attach a 3/8" red gingham ribbon bow with a couple 1/2" red jingle bells. I used hand-dyed 32-count fabric this year....search your stash for a darker neutral fabric...just make sure the white floss will stand out. I used Weeks Dye Works cotton floss for the model and provide DMC conversions with the chart, if you prefer. I truly hope this cheerful birdie wearing a scarf will bring you joy - please stitch it with a happy heart

You can find the printable PDF chart here:

https://blueribbondesigns.com/free-charts/

I kindly ask you do not post the actual chart on the Internet/social media or on Pinterest - instead, post a photo of the finished piece and direct users to this post or my website.

For those who have kindly asked if they could purchase this ornament design in the spirit of valuing my work (your messages make my heart happy!), I ask you talk about my designs with your stitching friends (spread the word about Blue Ribbon Designs) and/or visit my Etsy Shop to make a purchase...or you can Buy Me a Coffee...it is definitely not required or necessary, but truly appreciated - thank you for supporting my creativity and valuing my artistry!💕

Bundled Up Birdie ©Copyright 2022 Belinda Karls-Nace/Blue Ribbon Designs, LLC http://www.blueribbondesigns.blogspot.com

I also want to note, Just CrossStitch Magazine has changed their policy going forward (starting with the 2022 Christmas Ornament Issue) - they will now be compensating  designers for submissions. I should also note -  they did not invite me to design an ornament for the 2022 issue or the 2023 issue. I want to thank each and every one of you who spread the word regarding my blog post and called out Just CrossStitch Magazine for their outdated policy. We did make a difference!...and while they did not reach out to me for the 2022 publication, I am proud of myself and everyone who stood with me to make this change that benefits all cross stitch designers working with them in the future. Thank you.

Finally - if you plan to stitch "Bundled Up Birdie,"  I hope you will share an image of your progress or finished ornament on social media and tag me, so I can see it.

Enjoy and stitch it with joy in your heart!

8 comments:

  1. Oh Belinda, this is a darling ornament. Thank you for being creative and generous in sharing this with us. I love it and it is going to be my New Year's Eve day stitch. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the complimentary chart, I got My Frosty Friend as well. I love finishing round ornaments, they are so much easier than square ones with no awkward corners to worry about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful ornament, thank you so much for sharing the design, I hope to get it stitched this month and I will definitely share on my instagram. Thanks again xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a delightful pattern Belinda - thank you! And thank you for bringing to light the unfair practice of JCS. You made a difference by standing up for your own value and the integrity of cross stitch designers. Be safe and well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so sweet, and I am going to enjoy stitching it. Thank you so much for your generous spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your Second Annual Christmas Ornament AND for your stance on supporting the work of designers, artists, and other creatives by making sure that they get compensated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Merry Christmas My Dear Friend: This is a beautiful design which I have now the need to stitch.
    I am sad that a magazine would be so cruel as to not contact you, I will not buy the 2022 or 2023 magazine.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is adorable! Shame on JCS! You have contributed for many years, some of those years your design was the only one worth stitching. I'm just being brutally honest. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Gloria Hanaway

    ReplyDelete