Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Friendship Totes

I managed to escape our massive home remodel madness yesterday by taking a road trip with my dear friends Merry and Kimber - we escaped for the day to the Amana Colonies to celebrate both their August birthdays (more on our trip in a future post). I had been collecting gifts for them over the last several months and decided to make them both a large tote bag to carry everything. I actually didn't use a specific pattern - I just made my own - I used things I liked about several bags I had made in the past and a couple ideas of my own to create these extra large totes. I really had fun choosing fabrics I thought they would enjoy - Merry's tote was made with "Rouenneries" by French General for Moda (one of her favorites) and Kimber's tote was made with "Simplicity" by 3 Sisters for Moda (Kimber's favorite colors are pink and green). I used a fusible fleece to make the bags nice and sturdy...and was very happy with their 16" x 16" x 8" size. Both bags were slightly different, as I learned a few things as I went along and made some adjustments. Over-all, I was thrilled with how they turned out and may just have to make one for myself once things settle down here.


Well, I better get back to preparing tutorials for my upcoming classes (amidst the remodel - windows and doors being installed today, along with more trim work)...but I will return shortly with a post about my trip to the Amanas...

12 comments:

  1. You could totally sell those totes. I put my bid in for the pink and green one. I'll be your first customer.

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome totes, Belinda! Excellent size! Bet your friends were thrilled to receive them!

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went over and cast my vote for your block. I'll keep my fingers crossed you win!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great bags! I'm sure your friends were thrilled. The race for votes is so close. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you're the winner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your totes and I cast my vote (uh, yeah, for you, of course)! Good luck, I hope you win - right now you are in the lead!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I voted in the finalist round for you, and you're still in the lead.
    Good luck Belinda!!!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. The totes are beautife and so creative. One of my very favorite fabrics is the FG Rouenneries so of course anything from that fabric is awesome in my book!

    good luck - going to vote now.

    Sherry :o)

    itsallaboutsherry.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. What lucky friends you have, Belinda. Those totes are lovely and I know they will be a favorite for them.
    I am so happy you are in the top 3, I voted for you again. Good luck.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just cast my vote for your block, Belinda! I feel so fortunate to have been the lucky recipient of one of your beautiful totes. Thanks so much. K

    ReplyDelete
  10. I SO envy people who can sew; those bags are great!!!! I'm sure your friends loved them!

    ReplyDelete