Friday, October 2, 2015

Autumn In Iowa

Can you believe autumn is upon us already?? - I feel like the months are rushing by...pretty soon it will be Halloween...then Thanksgiving...and then (dare I say) Christmas...whew - where does the time go?! Signs of fall are everywhere here in Iowa - the tree leaves are turning lovely colors (I've already had to rake my front yard) and I am hoping sweatshirt weather is here to stay for a while...plus, there have been a plethora of autumn projects on my to-do table lately - which is perfect, as I really like working with fall fabrics. One of my most recent projects is a quilted table runner tutorial (titled "Autumn in Iowa") that I designed and created for the AccuQuilt Blog...you can find my guest post/tutorial with all the details here:
https://www.accuquilt.com/blog/education/go-tutorials/autumn-in-iowa-table-runner-quilting-tutorial/


For this project, I used my AccuQuilt GO! Fabric Cutter and these four AccuQuilt GO! cutting dies:

After using a blanket stitch to machine appliqué each of the leaves on a base block, I used a straight stitch on my machine to create all the leaf veins and stems....you can read about this step on the AccuQuilt Blog and see close-ups and the backs of my leaf blocks. I stitched them freely and organically (it was quite enjoyable) or you could draw lines to follow...or you may choose not to have stems and veins.

My runner is 24″ x 48″, but you could easily be adapt the size to your needs by changing the number of blocks per row…or simply by adjusting the number of rows.

The tutorial for my design includes fabric amounts, instructions, and additional photos...that way, you can make one of your very own! Stop by the AccuQuilt Blog and check out my guest blog post for all the specifics: https://www.accuquilt.com/blog/education/go-tutorials/autumn-in-iowa-table-runner-quilting-tutorial/


...and be sure to check out all the guest blogger tutorials happening this month - each one is full of creativity! For a list of contributors and links to their blogs, see my earlier post here:
http://blueribbondesigns.blogspot.com/2015/09/meet-team.html
My next AccuQuilt guest blogger post and tutorial will be in November...and it will be another holiday tutorial...it is already in the works!

For now, it's back to my daily to-do list - I finished up 72 quilt blocks this week (a very large project, which is why today's post is a couple days later than anticipated) and I am on to three more GO! Talk to the Animals quilts and a pile of custom projects, plus some model stitching and designing...you know me - there is always something creative happening in the Blue Ribbon Designs studio!

2 comments:

  1. Love, love, love your Autumn in Iowa table runner, Belinda! Congratulations on getting the 72 quilt blocks made. Have a relaxing weekend!

    xoxoxo,
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely gorgeous!!!!! I'm so spoiled with the New England foliage and just love the leaves changing color!! I don't think I ever saw sweetgum leaves - they're an awesome shape! Love the poplar too! I just love it all - gorgeous gorgeous job!!!!!

    ReplyDelete