Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Quilted Cup Cozies

What a blessing it is to have a few good friends who understand me, my quirks, and my hectic schedule....they just "get me". These last few weeks have been quite discouraging for me and I am looking at ways to give myself a boost....or at least an attitude adjustment. Sometimes we are forced to make major life decisions and find a good balance - make new priorities...I have been struggling with this - looking for a change or challenge...second-guessing my artistic abilities and choice of career. Amazing how a few harsh words (or no words at all) can make you rethink all that you thought was true. Luckily, I have a small select group of good friends who can tell when I am down and know just what to say (and do) to lift my spirits! Yesterday, my good friend Merry gave me the sweetest little gift bag "just because" - she knew I needed a lift in spirits...and that is exactly what she did! As many of you know from reading my blog, Merry makes the GREATEST homemade/handmade gifts! This gift was an ECO ONE "The Perfect Not Paper Cup" in sage green (LOVE IT!)....it looks just like an everyday disposable takeout coffee cup, but is ceramic with a silicone spill-proof lid...and it can go right in the dishwasher...and best of all, it is reusable! Of course Merry put her own spin on it by making awesome quilted cup cozies for me out of fabric she knows I love....one is an adorable light blue floral fabric with whimsical birds....and one is a pumpkin fabric, perfect for use this autumn. She also included a very fun card, a tiny tin of vanilla lip balm, and a magnetic bookmark. This TOTALLY UNEXPECTED gift made me feel so very special and completely brightened my day (month)...it definitely put some things into perspective for me.



These quilted coffee cup cozies are a great project for a beginner...and super fun for using that special piece of fabric you picked up without a specific purpose...the supplies needed are minimal...and they (obviously) make a fabulous gift! Here are few links with instructions and tutorials for making your very own...and best of all, these patterns/tutorials are FREE:

How to Make a Quilted Coffee Cup Sleeve (by Cyndee Kromminga - eHow)

Quilted Coffee Cozy/Sleeve Tutorial (Recycled Lovelies) - video

http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-quilted-coffee-cup-cozy/2010/01/21/ - unique pattern and tutorial with images - love the elastic and button!

8 comments:

  1. Omigosh...I just LOVE the pumpkin fabric! That was very kind of your friend :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome CARE package from your friend! I am curious about the ceramic mug that looks like a throw-away! Where oh where did you get them, Belinda?

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic! What a sweet friend to get you such a cool present! (I love sage green. :D) Love the cup cozies and everything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are the greatest cup cozies. You have very good friends. As a person who was at the New England Retreat, I beleive that you made the right decision regarding your career. You are a truly gifted person and I hope that you continue to design for a very long time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a super gift. The cozies are perfect for those unique cups.

    Please don't stray too far from designing. Your designs are so fabulous and you are so talented. We wouldn't want to lose you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good friends do often know how to pick us up. Sometimes strangers even have that gift. The coffee cup and cozy are wonderful. I have the pumpkin fabric in my collection and it makes me want to do something for autumn but alas I must work more on my quilt group theme project. I am behind on it. *sigh*

    I hope you will always keep in your heart the joy you bring to others through your designs. Just saw your free chart and it is F*A*B*U*L*O*U*S! I know you bring me joy when I stitch your designs. Just completed the third part of our PT SAL and are in for the home stretch now.

    Hugs from Holland ~
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's always nice to get an unexpected gift from someone! Love the cozies - how cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your gift and isn't life grand when you have a friend or two who just totally gets you and knows when you need it. Please know that many think you are so, so talented and it's such a pleasure to stitch your designs and such a pleasure to read your blog!

    ReplyDelete