Thursday, December 20, 2012

A Snow Day...

Just as predicted, winter weather arrived in central Iowa yesterday evening...it started as a rain/sleet mix, then quickly turned to snow (and thunder snow). We received 12" to 14" of snow (on top of a layer of ice) and blizzard-like conditions with winds gusting up to 50 mph...yes, winter has definitely arrived! With the heavy snow, our power was knocked out last night...but we are blessed, as our electricity was restored early this morning. With most of the city shutdown this morning and travel not recommended, today was an official snow day. I made it outside to do a little snow removal and take Simba for a brief walk...he was quite irritated by the harsh weather and I had to force him to go further than the end of our driveway....but who could blame him - with the snow so high, he must feel like he is walking in a tunnel...and with the winds so extreme, he must feel like a little kite. I must say, even with the cold, wind, snow, and ice, it was still beautiful outside - looks like we will be having a white Christmas this year!

View from our deck....
Sunshine trying to peek through....
...and speaking of winter weather and snow...several days ago, I received a FABULOUS Christmas package from my dear friend Robin - I have only opened one of the enclosed gifts....and it was this WONDERFUL winter fabric, which reminds me of our current weather situation...it is Winter Wonderland by Ingrid Slyder for Moda...isn't it marvelous?! 


It was a very quiet day and I decided to do some cooking (a big pot of homemade chili), some baking (molasses cookies), and some sewing (more Etsy shop items and a couple last minute gifts). I finished up the last six Blueberry Crumb Cake Needlebook Scissor Cases...then decided to pull out some bright cheerful fabric (Fresh Flowers by Deb Strain for Moda) and work on some more Stitch Starter Ruler Pocket Sleeves....these will be listed in my Etsy shop soon.




I have just a few more things to finish up in my studio and at my desk...then I will be headed to my comfy stitching nest to work on some model stitching (I think a fire in the fireplace and a hot beverage will be a nice touch)...I have several large projects to get completed in the next few weeks...

I hope you are staying warm and cozy...and enjoying this winter holiday season....

5 comments:

  1. Love the snowy pictures especially when you can view it from indoors :) Love the new ETSY additions!! Bright and cheery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome snow day pictures, Belinda! Okay, I hope you whispered to the storm to head in the direction of my house when it was finished snowing at yours! Super new items for your Etsy shop!

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are getting blasted with the same storm. It started here around noon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is snowing like crazy here right now. I love it. We will have our white Christmas after all.
    Belinda - where do you find your fabrics? I LOVE that Christmas fabric and the blue fabric that looks like stitching.
    Wishing you the Merriest of Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For someone who has never seen snow like this - i enjoyed seeing the photos. I have always dreamed of traveling to a place where I too could experience a "white christmas" - enjoy the snow and your holiday ! Melody

    ReplyDelete