Sunday, August 20, 2017

"Dahlias In Deco" - A Quilted Wall Hanging

I am so happy to finally be sharing my "Dahlias In Deco" wall hanging with you - it's been a long time coming. I finished it up several days ago, but didn't have time to get this post completed until now. Believe it or not, this quilted wall hanging has actually been a couple years in the making. The design started out as a Timeless Treasures Block Challenge on the Electric Quilt Blog back in July 2015 - at the time, I was just playing around with the fabrics (Charleston by REVIVE for Timeless Treasures) in EQ7 (Electric Quilt design software) and had no immediate plans to make it into an actual wall hanging/quilt. During the block contest, I posted a photo on Instagram, showing my computer screen working on the contest block...and a month or two later, I was contacted by one of my good customers (who saw the image) to see if I would make it into a quilt. I worked up the wall hanging design in 2016 and she loved it, so I ordered the beautiful fabrics...and added it to my long list of projects for her (she keeps me busy and is very patient with my other orders and crazy schedule...and we prioritize what she wants completed first). I was super excited to finish it up last week and ship this beautiful wall hanging in Art Deco style fabrics to it's new home! It is a combination of intricate piecing and applique...with each finished block measuring 12". The entire wall hanging was cut with AccuQuilt dies, making it easy to precision piece. I will be writing a pattern for this design (to be titled Dahlias In Deco) in the coming weeks, once my project bag making schedule slows down (I have somewhere near 100 bags requested at the moment) - plus I have have two REALLY big piles of needlework finishing to accomplish...but my goal is to write the pattern as soon as I can fit it into my schedule. Here are some images of my process from design to completion:






I am really happy with how it turned out and I am excited to hear from my customer, once it is received. I am also looking forward to new projects, as this one was quite time consuming and was in the works for what seemed like FOREVER. 

The last week and a half, I have been suffering from a terrible flu bug (my husband has been doing TONS of traveling for his job and managed to pick up the virus along the way, which he lovingly brought home and shared with me), and even after a couple full days in bed and taking very good care of myself last week, I am still quite rundown. After taking him back to the airport today, I finished cutting fabrics for several orders and completed up a very small Etsy custom request...but after this post, I have plans to rest for the evening...life has been hectic, to say the least, and I really need to shake this bug. I'll be back to visit with you again soon - creative things are happening!!

5 comments:

  1. So gorgeous ❤️...blessings for quick recovery from your bug!! Take care...🌻

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhhh myyy any time you want to make one for me go ahead..lol ... sorry to hear about the bug and I hope you recover realll quick .. that's a lot of project bags to make my dear ... hope the machine doesn't catch the flu bug ... take care .love mouse xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dahlias in Deco is stunning, Belinda. I know your customer will be thrilled when it arrives. I am sorry you are still feeling poorly. Thinking of you! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty!
    I hope you feel better soon.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely beautiful! I love the design and the bright colors, especially the red! Feel better really soon!

    ReplyDelete