Thursday, November 12, 2015

Every Blister Saves a Sister:
My Komen 3-Day Experience

Hello friends! I am back in Iowa and have had a little time to recover from my Komen 3-Day journey...and to say it was another incredible event would be an understatement. I am proud to say Team Twinkle Toes completed another fabulous sixty miles last weekend in Dallas, TX...and I have the badly blistered feet to prove it (although not as badly blistered as last year). Crossing the finish line, hand in hand, with my three teammates was an emotional experience, full of laughter, tears, cheers, a little pain, and a huge sense of achievement....there really are not words to describe it. The entire walk was AMAZING - even the rain - I savored the entire experience - taking lots of photos, meeting lots of people, and truly enjoying my surroundings. My legs, heart, feet, and lungs were ready (another full year of training definitely paid off), and I was able to take in the Dallas/Fort Worth scenery that encompassed me. I did manage to get another set of "Belinda blisters" - but don't worry - I am all good - my feet are taped up - and, it was definitely worth the pain, as the funds we raised will help so many and make an impact in so many lives.  There were numerous memorable moments - in fact, WAY too many to list...so, I will share a plethora of captioned photos with you that will give you just a peek at my experience (you should be able to click on them for larger views)...it was fun to see many 3-Day alumni that walk, crew, and cheer each year...and it was wonderful to have several new routes this year!

Twinkle Toes right before the opening ceremony...
L-R: Lori, Sandy, Lois, me

Walkers and crew gather for the opening ceremony...

A photo The 3-Day captured with Team Twinkle Toes starting out on day
one. We are in the front right (the four in black and pink)...^^^

Yard decorations along the route...

Another photo The 3-Day captured of Team Twinkle
Toes crossing the street (waving front left)...

First photo with firemen...it's a yearly tradition for me...

The backdrop reads "I'm keeping the promise for"...and we are pointing at our
"friend" and coach (Lois) who is a 19-year survivor...
Top L-R: Lori, Lois, Sandy...and that is me in the front with the sign...

Lori and I crossing the finish line on day one...still smiling after 20 miles...

This is me and Sandy's pink tent - our home for two nights...

The camp growing on day one...

A nighttime image of camp, as the rain moves in....

Route decoration....

Superman - a FAVORITE cheerleader...

Lori and I meeting new friends (well, we actually met these same
characters last year)...and yes that is tiny me  in the back
between the gold and white shirts...

Cheering station on a rainy, gray, and gloomy morning....

We had the funniest memorable conversations with the chicken, who we called
the "cheese guy"...

A photo The 3-Day captured of the incredible youth core...they
were the BEST again this year...I love my sneaky sticks!!

The dining tent at dusk...

The remembrance tents at dusk...

Many of you have asked about the showers...here are the semi-trucks
we shower in each evening....

A FAVORITE safety crew member - the "kilt guy"...
we loved seeing him again this year (and 70-pounds lighter!)....

The PERFECT "potty lady" - we love her...
...and yes, I got a star sticker for washing my hands...

Our very own Lois was a top fundraiser...raising just shy of an
AMAZING $10,000 this year...and yes, that is her on the poster
we spotted on Beverly Drive on day three!!!

The CUTEST cheerleader on the route!! She stamped each
of us with a ribbon and then posed for me!

Second photo with firemen...and yes, I am laughing on day three...

Just because I needed a photo of this craziness....

Team Twinkle Toes at mile marker 59...
Top L-R: Lois, Sandy, Lori...and me down low...

Because we needed a photo with Texas cowboys....
this was right before the final finish line...

A photo I captured of some fabulous safety crew members as
we entered Fair Park...

A photo I captured of some fabulous safety crew members as
we entered Fair Park...

Team Twinkle Toes at the Cotton Bowl finish line...60 miles complete!!

A photo I captured of some fabulous safety crew members and their
adorable dog before the closing ceremony...

Lori, Lois, and Sandy lining up for the closing ceremony...
I love my team!

The closing ceremony...

The final flag being raised - WE WILL NEVER GIVE UP!

A photo The 3-Day captured of me holding up my shoes at the
closing ceremony....



In closing (if you are still reading), I will share the thank you note I e-mailed to my donors earlier this week...this sums it up...my heart is full...

My dear friends, family, and needlework enthusiasts,

A GIGANTIC heartfelt thank you for supporting me on my Komen 3-Day journey! I have made it home from the event in Dallas - it was an UNBELIEVABLE three days and I am extremely proud to report we completed the 60-miles again this year. It was an AMAZING, challenging, fun, (at times) painful, and breathtaking experience...filled with heartfelt memories.

Because of your generosity, and the support of all of my donors, family, friends, and team members, I raised over $5,800 to help end breast cancer...our small, but mighty Team Twinkle Toes (four walkers) raised just shy of $22,000 for this important cause...and the Dallas event (1,100 walkers and 325 crew members) raised an OUTSTANDING $2,800,000! I cannot thank you enough for your support, love, and encouragement - I am so very touched by your generosity and kindness.

I also want to take a moment and express my sincere gratitude to those of you who made donations to our team captain for expenses, to those of you who sent care packages to me before the trip, to my mother and Dan who helped me with airlines tickets, shoes, and gear, and to those of you who sent sweet treats with notes to me in camp - you helped lighten the financial burden and truly enhanced my experience - I am forever grateful.

Finally, a HUGE thank you to my three Twinkle Toes teammates - you are beautiful inside and out and I was proud to share another 60-miles with you...you made this experience truly special and I can't wait to do another blister-filled 60-miles with you in San Diego - that Kool-Aid was delicious!

It takes a village...and YOU all made this INCREDIBLE journey possible and I thank YOU from the bottom of my heart. Together we ARE making a difference!

xoxo,
Belinda
Baby Twinkle

Check out the Komen 3-Day blog for a recap of the event and if you look carefully, you will see Team Twinkle Toes:
http://blog.the3day.org/2015/11/08/2015-dallasfort-worth-3-day-wrap-up/

Team Twinkle Toes is thrilled to announce we are headed back to San Diego in 2016!

So now, life gets back to "normal" - I play catch-up...I start sewing/quilting like a mad woman...I work on my new designs...I answer correspondence...I fill orders...I tackle the HUGE "to do" list...I stay medicated and try to keep my feet elevated...then, in a few weeks I will get back to training/fundraising for the 2016 Komen 3-Day in San Diego...it's all GREAT!

One final note - some of you are aware we had a death in the family the morning I returned from Dallas. My husband's 96-year-old grandmother passed away at home in her sleep. Services are Friday and Saturday in Ohio - so please be patient with me. Thank you for your condolences and kind words - she was loved and cherished and lived a full life - her caring soul will be missed, but I know she is now at peace with grandpa in heaven and I have another angel smiling down on me...

3 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear about Travis' grandmother. Keeping you both and the rest of the family in my thoughts and prayers.

    Belinda, what a wonderful journey you had in Dallas. Thank you for sharing the experience through your blog post.

    Thinking of you!

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. congratulations on your accomplishments, wow - what an endeavor. Amazing and wonderful to see the photos. I'm glad I could help in a very small way. Glad your feet are in better shape than last year. Cheers and have a "restful" weekend -Mel

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to read about your husband's grandmother. WTG Team Twinkle Toes!!

    ReplyDelete