Monday, August 18, 2014

Flowering Snowball With A Twist
AccuQuilt BOB Blog Hop

Hello everyone and welcome to the AccuQuilt BOB Blog Hop - I am so extremely excited to be the very first stop on what is sure to be a very inspiring two weeks! First, let me start by introducing you to BOB - BOB is amazingly creative, super convenient, and can easily add more hours to your quilting day...and BOB has quickly become an AccuQuilt favorite. BOB stands for "Block on Board"...that means, all the shapes needed to make to make a particular quilt block are included on one die board! There are a wide variety of BOBs available, including the following favorites: Ohio Star, Log Cabin, Dunkard's Path, Winding Ways, and Double Wedding Ring (just to name a few!). So grab your favorite AccuQuilt fabric cutter and let's spend some time with BOB....

Today, my focus is on the GO! Flowering Snowball die - it makes a 12" finished block...and although it may look complicated with the curved seams, it truly is quick and easy when working with my new best friend BOB. The gentle curves and notches make this a great block for a beginner wanting to try curved piecing....and the each shape cuts perfectly and swiftly. First, let's take a look at this particular BOB (compatible with the GO! Fabric Cutter...and the Studio Fabric Cutter if you have the GO! Die Adapter):


As you can see, I have labeled the die board shapes with the letters A, B, and C...this makes it quick and simple to cut and assemble the block...and of course, all the shapes you need to make this block are on one die, making it easy peasy!  When you purchase the GO! Flowering Snowball, the free pattern that comes with the die is the GO! Rings of Tangerine Quilt (shown below)...and it comes with exact instructions for how to build this dynamic block. For a limited time, you can download this pattern and instructions for FREE, just visit the following link: GO! Rings of Tangerine Quilt.

GO! Rings of Tangerine Quilt

For my Flowering Snowball project, I decided to mix things up a bit! If you are a regular visitor of my blog, then you know I love to combine traditional piecing and appliqué in my projects...so, after creating my Flowering Snowball blocks, in true Blue Ribbon Designs fashion, I decided to add some floral appliqué. I actually started out thinking that my project would be a wall hanging (and it still is/could be), but after completion, I decided it would also make a lovely table topper.

I started out with a base of four 12" Flowering Snowball blocks that looked like this...


...and then used the GO! Round Flower die to cut the floral appliqué. I fused the flowers in place and completed the machine appliqué, then added my borders before quilting and binding...it's a Flowering Snowball with an appliqué twist!





I hope you will spend the next couple weeks learning all about BOB (he's really interesting, once you get to know him!)...make sure to visit all the AccuQuilt Blog Hop stops to find out more of BOB's capabilities...I promise these unbelievably talented quilters will motivate and inspire you...

August 18th – Samplings from a Blue Ribbon GirlGO! Flowering Snowball - you are here!
August 19th – Strip Quilter – GO! Ohio Star
August 20th – Freemotion by the River – GO! Log Cabin
August 21st – A Quilting Life – GO! Dresden Plates
August 22nd – Pleasant Home – GO! Blazing Star
August 23rd – Living Water Quilter – GO! Hunter Star
August 24th – Ray’s Sew Crafty – GO! Double Wedding Ring
August 25th – Blue Feather Quilt Studio – GO! Rob Peter to Pay Paul
August 26th – One Stitch at a Time – GO! Double Wedding Ring
August 27th – Beaquilter – GO! Log Cabin
August 28th – Sew Incredibly Crazy – GO! Rob Peter to Pay Paul
August 29th – Sew Fresh Quilts – GO! Ohio Star

Spend a little time with BOB, he's worth getting to know...and make a little time to be creative!

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful quilt and adding the flowers is the perfect touch! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! If I could only get home from work in time to get into the sewing roo I have this on my "short list" of quilts to do

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that took on a whole new look, nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful table topper/wall hanging you have created, Belinda! I love the addition of the flowers.

    xoxox,
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is really pretty and your colors in it are wonderful. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful colors in your BOB !
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks awesome and love how you split the block like that and then the applique is so neat too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful. I wish my machine applique looked that good. I think there is going to be some new dies wanted after this blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your added appliqué to the flowering snowballs. Just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought I was BOB's girl... But I don't mind sharing! There's plenty of BOB to go around. And he sure does look good on you! Love, love, love the addition of those pretty applique flowers. Beautiful piece!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful design! Your quilt demonstrates the design possibilities of the BOB die.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the way you used the Flowering Snowball. You sure do know how to make BOB look good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely design. These fabrics really pop together. I'm excited to see the BOB dies, having all the pieces together just makes so much sense. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete