Friday, July 25, 2014

Drunkard's Path Projects

I have been at my sewing machine all week - my favorite place to be! I had a large commissioned order that consisted of a pair of placemats, a pillow, a table runner, a large applique wall hanging, and a bed quilt - and although I had a terrible (TERRIBLE) migraine for several days, I managed to get them all complete...along with several stitching wallet special orders, a couple birthday gifts, and a drunkard's path pillow cover. It's been a busy week; however, busy is truly a blessing. This weekend will be full as well, as I have another wall hanging, a pair of wool applique pincushions, and a couple more birthday gifts to complete.

I have been wanting to make a drunkard's path pillow for quite a while and I finally carved out some time for it....and although it may look a little bit tricky with all the curved piecing, it was actually a breeze and I completed the entire thing in just a few hours. I used a new AccuQuilt GO! die...it is the Drunkard's Path-4" Finished Die...each small two piece set is a 4" square and four sets create one 8" block. I was quite excited to use this new die, which is one of the new exclusive dies for Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores. I made four 8" blocks for my 16" pillow cover and played around with the pattern, until I found one that was unique and eye-pleasing to me. I used the Tuxedo Collection by Doodlebug Design Inc. for Riley Blake. The die cut shapes made this a quick and easy project - and matching up the notches helps make perfect curved piecing easily obtainable. My tip to make a project like this - press and starch your fabrics before beginning - it will give you smooth clean cuts and make your fabric much easier to work with...




 I was actually able to try out this test die months ago to make the GO! Retro Drunkard's Path Quilt sample quilt (this is the free pattern that accompanies the die) - I just had to wait until the die was actually released to share the project with you. This quilt alternates between drunkard's path blocks and broken dishes blocks...and it measures 68" x 76" (a nice large size - but a little bit of a challenge when quilting on my sewing machine - yep, I'm still dreaming that one day I will have a longarm machine...). It is made from an assortment of fabrics from Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores...and actually was quite fun to make. I was thrilled to see my sample quilt on the packaging for the die and in the online video...again, another quilt I made is famous....and this was a big project, with lots of curved seams and matching points...I am proud!





I hope you enjoyed reading about my drunkard's path projects...and I have several more fun and famous quilting finishes to share with you in the near future...

Wishing you a wonderful and creative weekend!

3 comments:

  1. WOW!! I love the drunkards pattern... it looks like a lot of fun. I love your fabric color choices they go really well together for your pillow.
    You should feel very proud your quilt is beautiful and famous! :)
    Hope your migraines are easing now, have a lovely happy smiley weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear that you have been bothered by another migraine. Hope it is a thing of the past by now. Good for you on getting your commissioned items finished! Your Drunkards Path pillow is lovely as is your quilt. Go Belinda!

    Enjoy your weekend!

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pillow and quilt look great. Hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete