Friday, March 9, 2012

Shamrock Snack Mats

I have spring fever...massive spring fever...it was almost impossible for me to focus on work today, as it was beautiful and sunny outside...still a little cool, but sunny, blue skies. I have several BRD class projects in the works, but I really wanted to be outside "playing" today.

I'm sure part of that is frustration - I am about half done with the Halloween project for the New England Stitcher's Retreat (which I know some of you are VERY anxious to see - and believe me, I am anxious to finish it), but I am at a stopping point until my fabric order arrives - when I started I only had a sample of the fabric - I have been waiting for more than a week for my fabric order from the manufacturer, and it is yet to arrive....so I am in a holding pattern...waiting {sigh}. To try to keep on track and meet my deadlines, I have been finishing up the charting for two other class designs (fabric for those is on order too) and model stitching a springtime release in the evenings.

Tonight, I finished up a quilting project a started a couple days ago...I decided to use the scrap fabric from my St. Patrick's Day "Twisting Star Table Topper" to make a handful of snack mats. I made quick work of cutting the 2" squares by using my AccuQuilt GO! Baby fabric cutter....after cutting 75 squares, I started laying them out in sets of 5 x 5 (25 squares to a mat). I then used one of my favorite ways to piece them together - I fused the 25 squares to a 10" x 10" piece of fusible lightweight interfacing - then pieced them together from the wrong side - it works really slick for smaller pieces of fabric. I added jumbo rick rack around the perimeter of each before attaching the batting and backing. Once they were turned and pressed, I top stitched around the entire perimeter - the finished size is 7.5" x 7.5"....perfect for sprucing up my afternoon snack (a Golden Delicious apple and a handful of raw almonds). I have built up quite a collection of these fun snack mats (mug rugs), thanks to my girlfriends who have made me a nice assortment...along with several I have quilted myself...so much better than a napkin or plate...and definitely more cheerful!

4 comments:

  1. Oh I like this idea, the quilting too. I may have to learn the basics of quilting just to jazz up my snack time. CJ in OK ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these Belinda-so creative and productive. You always use your time creating something fantastic. Enjoy your weekend. Mary A.

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are adorable, love the rick rack... and did you demo how to do the interfacing, I can visualize what you mean

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely snack mats, Belinda! Glad you had a bit of sewing time!

    Enjoy your weekend!

    Robin

    ReplyDelete