Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pretty Floral Purse

This weekend we celebrated my mother-in-law's birthday. We had a nice dinner at our house...and I baked a homemade lemon cake (which turned out so fabulous - I wish I would have taken a photo). I also made her a quilted purse, which I filled with several other gifts. This purse is an adaptation of "Bow Tucks Tote" (ps008) by Quilts Illustrated...I have made several of these and decided to try one with a bit of a different shape (more of a purse than a tote) and an additional pocket on the back side - I finally feel comfortable enough with my sewing skills to make changes and try new things. I love the adjustable ties on either side...and the inside is filled with pockets. My version has a pocket on the front and one on the back...and it has very sturdy handles. I used a vintage floral button I found at a local shop for the closure, which I thought matched the fabric perfectly. The original designs is 13" x 11" x 5", where mine measures approximately 14 1/2" L x 7" H x 4" D. I was quite pleased with how this bag turned out! After completing the purse, I wrapped several smaller presents to place inside...including a matching tissue holder (this was made using the Thimbleberries pattern "Quilter's Carry-All & Accessories"). My mother-in-law seemed to really like her new purse and definitely appreciated the time and work that I spent creating it...

9 comments:

  1. Very nice what special gifts you always make; such amazing talent you have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Belinda! The purse is just lovely. Such a wonderful gift for your MIL!

    Lemon cake.....mmmm, yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful purse! A perfect gift for your MIL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What beautiful gifts you created for your MIL! I know she was thrilled to be on the receiving end! Hmmm...lemon cake! Bet that was a success as well!

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the purse there just isn't enough purse's in the world for me I could get a new one every day Sincerely Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Charming purse! Job well done.

    ReplyDelete