Monday, January 16, 2012

The Betty Ring Sampler Collection

I know I have been absent for a couple weeks...and I apologize for the break. The TNNA Nashville Needlework Market in February is fast approaching and I have been swamped trying to prepare three new design releases - I have been busy stitching, finishing, and preparing the print files....and of course, with everything going on and my hectic schedule, I contract a miserable sinus infection/head cold...ugh. I spent the last several days recuperating, taking it easy (which is extremely difficult for me) and nursing myself back to health. Good news is, today I woke up and was somewhat able to breathe through my nose, so I am happy...and hopefully I'm on the road to recovery. So before getting back to my HUGE to-do list, I thought I would do a quick blog post and let you know I am still here...

Many of you are fans of historic needlework and schoolgirl samplers....and if you are, there is a good chance you are familiar with Betty Ring - a scholar, author, and collector of American Schoolgirl Embroidery. Her reference books in the field are highly collectible and showcase her almost 50-years of research, scholarship and connoisseurship in the field of girlhood embroidery. You may (or may not) be aware that the sampler collection of Betty Ring will be auctioned in New York City this month and is currently on display at Sotheby’s from January 14-22; you can currently view the collection as if it were a museum exhibition. Needlework industry fans and professionals are traveling from around the globe to view this definitive collection and bid on 197 different works of needlework art.

Now, if you are like me, you aren't able to travel to New York City this month...but that should not stop you from viewing Betty Ring's landmark collection of schoolgirl embroideries...you can view the entire collection online - through the Sotheby's electronic catalog and three of Betty's highly sought after reference books. Click on the links below to see this incredible collection of historic needlework from the comfort of your own home:


Please allow time for the books to load - these are complete works - they are filled with lovely color (and black and white) photographs and very detailed information. There is no telling how long Sotheby's will have these available for viewing, so take advantage of this AMAZING online exhibit before the files are removed. I am blessed to have each of these books in my personal collection and I could still spend hours perusing (and drooling over) each of the pages. I hope you will visit the above links and be inspired and educated by all it has to offer....

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this, Belinda! I'm fortunate enough to be a train ride away from NYC (I'm a Philly girl), so I'll definitely have to make time next weekend to head up there to see this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the link to see these wonderful needlework treasures! I wish I lived closer so I could see them in person but for now this will have to do.

    ReplyDelete