Monday, February 7, 2011

Soft and Cuddly Receiving Blanket

Several of my friends are having a baby in March, so I have been trying to fit in a few projects here and there for shower gifts. I made this adorable receiving blanket for Kassie - she works for the company that prints all my designs and handles my account - we have been working together for years and she always goes WAY above and beyond to make me happy. I really wanted to make her something extra special for her nursery...so after finding out the name and the sex of the baby, I started brainstorming ideas and looking for the perfect fabrics. I did not use a pattern - I just cut two squares of coordinating flannel (each approximately 40" x 40") - machine embroidered the baby's name in the lower right corner of one piece - then placed them right sides together and serged around the entire blanket, leaving an opening for turning - after turning, I top-stitched around the entire perimeter. I was so happy with how this soft, cuddly receiving blanket turned out....I just loved both the flannel prints (Cozy Cotton: Cotton Flannel Fabric by Robert Kaufman)! If you would like a great tutorial/pattern for making a receiving blanket on your own, head over to YouCanMakeThis.com where my good friend Shelli from Needle In A Haystack has a FREE pattern that will talk you through a Receiving Blanket and/or a Burpie! She makes it so easy, you will have baby shower gifts sewn in no time.

8 comments:

  1. That's beautiful, and so is the little one's name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful blanket you created! Love the flannel prints!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My children are all married now, but my mother made them so many flannel blankets through the years. She just put bias tape around the edges. I still have some of those that survived the numerous nights on the bed, being strung across the rooms to make awesome forts, etc. Look at the tradition you may have started. Yours are beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the link....I have a lot of babies that will be here in June and just didn't know what to make for gifts. Yours is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful. I am making a flannel baby blanket for a shower in a couple weeks- hopefully get it finished in time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Belinda, those are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That receiving blanket looks so soft! It's really beautiful and I'm sure your friend will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really a beautiful blanket! Your friend will be thrilled with it. I appreciate how you always share the sources of your patterns for those of us who might want to make one. Lorrie

    ReplyDelete