Friday, January 7, 2011

Sunflower Serenade - A Teaching Piece

Here is a peek at what I have been working on while trying to get over my cold/flu (which is much better now!)...it is called "Sunflower Serenade" and is the sampler for the the Heart's Desire (a needlework shop in Wichita, KS) Cross Stitch Camp held at the Rock Springs 4-H campground near Junction City, KS. This year, the event is being held April 14th-17th. This teaching piece will also have a matching scissor fob, which we will plan to stitch/finish in class...it is stitched on 28-count Jobelan (Bone) with Weeks Dye Works cotton floss. Debbie had asked me about possibly designing something with a Kansas theme (which at first seemed like a HUGE challenge)...so I did one of my signature samplers with a bit of Kansas - after doing some research, I incorporated the state flower (Sunflower), the state bird (Western Meadowlark), the state insect (Honeybee), and a barn representing agriculture (a major industry in KS)...plus a touch of spring, as the camp is being held in April. I am definitely looking forward to this Midwest event in several months! Again, before I get bombarded with questions - this special design will not be available to the general public until at least one year after the retreat is held...so if you can not attend, you need to be patient. Please contact Heart's Desire for more information and details....

This morning, I made a trip out into the winter weather to visit my framer...where I dropped off a pile of pieces including "Sunflower Serenade", "Turn The Page", and "Moonlit Midnight". Then, I spent the afternoon working on my state sales taxes and preparing my 2010 tax documents for my CPA (fun, fun, fun). This evening, I have been working on some of the bookmarks that coordinate with "Turn The Page". I am slowly working through my GIANT to-do list, while trying to stay warm and completely regain my health. I have a couple more teaching designs to prepare, along with two market designs to complete/ready for printing - it is going to be a VERY busy month...

13 comments:

  1. That is gorgeous and I'm going to be waiting impatiently for the year to be up so I can get my hands on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really lovely and I'll be anxiously waiting as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I love the "Kansas" elements that you integrated in this piece! Way to go, Belinda! Add me to the group who will have to wait impatiently for its release!

    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a lovely sampler. I bet the lady's who will join the cross stitch camp will be very happy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Add me to the list of those who will wait VERY impatiently. Makes me wish I lived in Kansas! It's really beautiful, Belinda. I do hope you feel 100% better soon! ~Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, definitely inspired by spring (my birthday is during this retreat). I know the attendees will love working on this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks so warm and inviting. What a beautiful design!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Belinda. Thanks for following my blog! Hopefully I will post more regular this year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sunflowers are always so "happy" - nice sampler. Glad you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am always excited about this camp, I have attended all but one, I think this is the 12th year.
    I am so looking forward to meeting you and WOW, what a wonderful design. A scissor fob will be great fun to make during class, can hardly wait!!
    I love your designs!! Hope you are bringing lots for us to look at and purchase!
    See you soon, hope you are up and running soon, bummer not feeling well.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous teaching piece! It will be hard to wait more than a year for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful piece! I really love the colors you used in this one. Feels like Spring in the middle of Winter. Lorrie

    ReplyDelete