Saturday, November 27, 2010

Time In The Kitchen

Today I baked a cake. No, not for a birthday or special occasion or celebration...I just baked a cake. I love to bake, but I don't usually allow myself the time to make sweet delicacies from scratch....too many deadlines and pressures in my everyday life to take the time to bake - but today I *needed* some time in the kitchen (plus a very special and wise person -Ruth- sent me the sweetest email and told me "work on something just for you that gives you joy"). There is just something about the measuring, blending, stirring, and baking - and if you follow the instructions, a few ingredients can make a magical treat! It felt good to be in the warmth of my kitchen - to smell the cake baking - to see it rising perfectly....it brought me comfort. As much as I love the art of baking, I am quite diligent with my diet and don't usually indulge in such sugary pastries...however, tonight I will make an exception and enjoy a small slice with a hot cup of tea....

10 comments:

  1. Oh my, the cake looks so tempting....if I could just reach out....guess I will have to find something in my kitchen! Have a nice Sunday...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you found the time in your kitchen to bake, Belinda! Your cake looks fabulous! I think you should eat a slice for me!

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, now I REALLY wish I lived closer!! That looks delicious - cut yourself a big honking piece and enjoy every bite!!! ~Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am delighted to see you took time out for yourself and did something you enjoy - bet your hubby was happy too! Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Belinda! I am finally back in blogland after a move to a new house. Thank you for your kind words about my work in your newsletter! I am really honored you liked it.

    I love to bake and have been doing it now more in our new house. Your cake looks just delicious. When it gives you pleasure to bake, you should make time for it now and then.

    Hugs from Holland ~
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cake looks yummy! I think I got the baking gene from my mother and grandmother. Give me more than a weekend off work and I'll end up baking something. Although, I too need to watch my calories so it happens much less often or I try cutting fat and sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cake looks awesome!


    I do that too, having to bake on occasion. I think this week I need to make some gingersnap cookies to go with the holiday tea I have. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will be right over. I can't let you consume that many calories alone.
    Hehe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your cake looks yummy. I too love homemade cakes, plus the way they make your home smell, but I rarely make them. Enjoy yours. I'm off to check my recipes and see if I have the ingredients to bake a cake! Thanks for inspiring me.

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your cake looks absolutely delicious!!
    I love to bake myself. It is so much fun!

    :)
    Raggedystitches,
    Louise

    ReplyDelete