Monday, December 14, 2009

Homemade Holiday Gift Ideas ~ Number Seven

Today's homemade holiday gift idea is a quilted journal...and although, these may look complicated to make, they might actually be easier than you think! I have shown a couple of these to you before, but yesterday I made four more for gifts. The ones shown below have the recipient's name embroidered on the cover; therefore, I have chosen to "white out" the names until the gifts are received. The cover actually fits over a composition notebook that can easily be found at any office supply store - it measures 9 3/4" h x 7 1/2"w. The supply list is minimal...this is a great project for using up scrap fabric...and they can easily be embellished with all sorts of trims, buttons, and/or embroidery. Best of all, there are two FREE patterns available online! The pattern used for the samples in the photos is from an older Quilts and More Quarterly Challenge and can be found in PDF form on the allpeoplequilt.com website. For a slightly smaller version (made to fit a spiral bound A5 art diary 8 1/4" h x 6 1/4" w) visit the Moda Bake Shop Blog for an excellent tutorial called "Journal Covers". These journals are the perfect size for making a list, taking notes, or writing down your personal thoughts....and make a lovely holiday gift!

4 comments:

  1. These are beautiful. I may have to add this to my list of handmade projects. I'm always encouraging new stitchers to keep a needlework journal. What a great way to dress it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are really beautiful. I think I will have to do one for myself for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love them! I'm going to try and make a few for Christmas! Thanks for the links and the great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are really nice - well done.
    Michelle x

    ReplyDelete